What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Box Filter

n38139

Well Known Member
Anybody used a RV8 box so that you wouldn't have to cut the filter?

I know its larger but just wondering if it could be cut down?

I don't like the idea of cutting the filter and putting goop on it. I know, I know billions have done it but just wondering if there was a different way of doing it..............:)

No cut on my filter

I did not have to cut my filter other than a small recess for the carb bowl protrusion. I dont know if thats what you are refering too. The filter is cleaned/re-used, so that doesnt really cause an issue very often.

Cuts like a knife

Anybody used a RV8 box so that you wouldn't have to cut the filter?

I know its larger but just wondering if it could be cut down?

I don't like the idea of cutting the filter and putting goop on it. I know, I know billions have done it but just wondering if there was a different way of doing it..............:)

Steve,
Don"t cut the filter, you will reduce performance at WOT, trust me. K&N makes an alternative filter that will fit. Take measurements and reference their site:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/universal.aspx

V/R
Smokey

PS: Early RV4 builders (me included) never used a FAB as they weren't invented yet by Van. I built a RAM air box that fit the early cowl with a 2" flange on top. I built a alt air door which allowed ram air inflight and filtered air on deck using a K&N flange style filter. I recently fabricated an identical one my for RVX, significantly outperforming the FAB it replaced. FYI

Last edited:
Back