What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ESP Is engaged at start up but not the FD?

chasers03

When I start up my G3X touch,[GDU-460] the FD [flight director] is not activated but the ESP [enhanced stability and protection] is always activated.

How can I get the flight director FD to automatically engage without tapping it or turning on the auto pilot at start up??

In other words why one and not the other automatically activated at screen start up?

G3experts don't know why the FD does not stay turned on from audio activation to activation

ESP is envelope protection, and it makes sense for it to be on at all times except if you are doing intentional maneuvers which exceed the limits. During that time you would turn it off. ESP automatically inhibits itself when close to the ground.

The flight director requires pilot input to be in the correct mode. Therefore, it makes sense to me that the flight director would not come on at power up. Pressing the TO/GA button on the ground would put the flight director in Takeoff mode (wings level, pitch up for climb). Pressing the FD button on the autopilot control panel will engage FD in the currently selected mode, or engaging the autopilot will turn on both the FD and autopilot.

Turning the flight director on in the wrong mode can cause confusion, so I personally would not want to the FD to turn on without a pilot input.

Also, you can turn off ESP in configuration mode, so not all systems will enable ESP on power up.

Thanks,
Levi

Flight Director mode

Once you turn on the flight director, using either the TOGA button or the FD button on the AP controller, it is very important to monitor the flight director mode.

One of the best lessons I was taught while learning my G3X system is to constantly monitor the Flight Director "score board" to verify that the FD (and autopilot) are in the correct mode. Even when flying by hand, you need to montor whether the FD is is NAV or HDG mode.

If the FD appears to giving you course information that doesn't make sense, verify that you are in the correct mode. More than once, I've had the FD point me in the "wrong" direction because I forgot to switch from NAV to HDG or vice versa.

So to your original point, I think it is good that the FD has to be started manually because after you turn it on, you need to set the modes you want for course and vertical guidance.

Back