What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mounting an iPad in the cockpit

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
Just received my Amazon purchased iPad holder. It?s an Akron Heavy Duty Wall mount iPad holder designed for trucks. Fits my RV7A panel very well. LOVE IT!

The quality appears superb and you can?t beat the price at $41.26 with free shipping through Amazon Prime. I was looking at aircraft iPad mounts at two well known vendors during AirVenture last week and was seeing prices for the panel mount and iPad holder combined north of $300. This combined mount works just as well for less than 1/6th the price.

Plan to go to Office Depot and have them laminate a colored sheet of paper with heavy laminate to fashion a sun shield, then use a hair dryer to make two folds and attach the sun shield to the mount using Velcro. Did something similar on my trip to Oshkosh with my iPad strapped to my leg and a plastic laminated checklist kept the iPad from over heating due to direct sunlight.

Check this mount out and see if it might work for you too!
https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Heavy-Tablet-Mount-Galaxy/dp/B00LULUYHC

iPad dash

Judie and I flying to Anchorage and back, there wasn?t enough space in the 696 for Canadian charts. We constructed an iPad holder from a sheet of aluminum, curled the corners to hold the iPad. We could slide it out very easily. We ran a charging wire to our panel plug. Two clamps to the windshield center bar and pop riveted a brace that laid on top of the panel. It covered up the 696, but it didn?t have coverage anyway. Anti-glare shield on the front. It got two hot once and we put a small sun screen over the top and it never happened again. Scrap aluminum and three hours labor including paint, zero cost.

Back