What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Transfer N Number?

walldan

Well Known Member
I have a reserved N Number that another RV builder would like. Is there a way for me to transfer it to him?

Yes, going from memory and it was many years ago. You need to write a letter to him relinquishing the number to him. He presents that to FAA.

A phone call to FAA would be a good idea just to make sure everything is done correctly and it only goes to him.

Yes, going from memory and it was many years ago. You need to write a letter to him relinquishing the number to him. He presents that to FAA.
A phone call to FAA would be a good idea just to make sure everything is done correctly and it only goes to him.

I have done this in the past. One important thing is that the letter releasing the number should be sent in the same envelope as the new reservation letter so that the number doesn't get snapped up by someone else in between.

Just a letter will do it...

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/special_nnumbers/

?If the number change involves a Special Number reserved to one party and the aircraft is registered to a different party, then the request for the N-Number change must be accompanied by a letter from the person or party that has reserved the special number releasing it to the requesting party. The letter should describe the aircraft as outlined above and give the name of the aircraft owner to whom the special number is being released. The releasing party should sign their name in ink, show their title if appropriate and include the typed or printed name of the signer with their signature. Be sure to include the $20.00 fee ($10.00 for reservation to the new party and $10.00 for the number change).?

Back