What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Interior Lighting & Switches

kbalch

Well Known Member
I have just about finalized my panel design (going with Stein, of course!) and am thinking about the three supplied lighting pots/switches.

• Avionics
  • Glareshield
  • ????
What are folks doing for the third one? Cabin? Baggage?

dimmers

I am not there yet, but I am thinking
1. Glareshield
2. Panel switches / avionics buttons
3. Avionics screens.

Depends on how much glass you will have and what type, but the garmin screens and garmin buttons have two separate dimmer ports for things like the GTN's, GDU's, and G5. Something to consider. Based on my reading they also have individual light sensors for the avionics screens so you don't need a dedicated dimmer, but I don't trust the sensitivity of the light sensors to keep them all the same or similar brightness levels based on my experience flying these at work.

I agree completely about not trusting photocells to do what I want, lighting-wise, especially in low-level ambient light (dawn, dusk, and IFR). A dedicated avionics lighting switch is essential.

I hadn't considered separating the switch lighting from the avionics lighting, but I like it.

I did the same as Jon. I used the red & white glare shield LED strip from Van's, with the red on "Panel Lights" and the white on "Cabin Lights" switches. Using the GAD 27 for dimming control, the glareshield dimmer controls both red (in flight) or white (ground) lighting. Works great.

Also note, with appropriate settings of the lighting curves (GAD 27), I'm able to have an "off" position for the switches lighting and for the glare shield strip. When established in cruise, I turn both "off" and can then dim the screens way down - increases night vision visibility and eliminates reflections on the bubble.

I used the three dimmer pots to control the red glare shield leds, the white leds, and to control the brightness of the lighted switches. :cool:

I used the red & white glare shield LED strip from Van's, with the red on "Panel Lights" and the white on "Cabin Lights" switches. Using the GAD 27 for dimming control, the glareshield dimmer controls both red (in flight) or white (ground) lighting. Works great.

Just for the sake of clarity:

Are you saying that your "Panel Lights" and "Cabin Lights" are on independent rocker (or toggle) switches and that the "Glareshield" dimmer pot controls whichever is illuminated at the moment?

If so, that sounds just about perfect.

I am not there yet, but I am thinking
1. Glareshield
2. Panel switches / avionics buttons
3. Avionics screens.

The same assignments : Avionics (G3X Touch) - Switches - glareshield and breakers

34yy9zn.jpg

I suppose what is the real intent and purpose. If it is for cool factor, functionality or both.

For functionality, I have a swivels type LED from VANs installed above the baggage area near the roll bar which provide light for the baggage area or pointing to the cockpit. It provides more than enough light for the entire panel and also it is behind me so will not affect my vision.

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-b...497851-68-18&browse=lighting&product=maplight

For cool factor, I installed a strip of LED light under the arm rest on both pilot and co-pilot side. It provides plenty of light if I need to get in/out and on the ground stuff but during night flying, I find it to be too much light and not useful. In fact, I even turn off my dome light as the two 10? flat TVs (Garmin) provide enough light to see all my switches.

I always install 3 dimmers:
G3X screens
GTN
Cabin/cockpit

If you install a GAD27 you can have multiple lights individually adjusted, on a single pot as well.

Walt, just curious why the g3x screens would not share a dimmer with the gtn? It would seem that the three screens would all go together.

Walt, just curious why the g3x screens would not share a dimmer with the gtn? It would seem that the three screens would all go together.

My thought exactly. I?m very curious about the reason for separating them.

My thought exactly. I?m very curious about the reason for separating them.

Well the large screen sizes of the G3X/GTN can overwhelm a dark cockpit, so having individual precise control of these 2 major light sources indepently works best for me.

Granted, with enough programming effort, they could work off the same pot, but its much easier IMO to just put in sepertate pots.
Ever try adjusting the lighting curve while actually flying at night... not happening for me.

Ah, I see what you mean. Given that my GTN750 screen isn’t that much smaller than the G3X screens, I think I’ll keep them linked to a single dimmer.

Ken Balch, yes - that is correct. Using the GAD 27 makes it possible to control separate circuits with a common dimmer. With the GAD 27, each pot provides a reference voltage back to the GAD 27. The 27 then has 2 lighting control circuits off each - one is a "conventional DC voltage of 0-12 volts and the other is a PWM (pulse width modulation) for controlling LEDs. Each has a separate programmed profile. DC circuits are used by the G3X and GTN for lighting control inputs. For LEDs, the GAD 27 is wired on the ground side. So the "panel lights" circuit comes from one switch, then the red glare shield LED, and to the GAD 27 controlled circuit (ground). The "cabin lights" circuit comes from its switch, then the white glare shield LED, and to the same GAD 27 controlled circuit (ground) - so one dimmer, 2 circuits. The method also allows a baggage LED light to be powered off the same switch (cabin) but grounded through a separate switch in the baggage area and not dimmed.

Also,regarding the screens, I have the G3X and GTN 650 on the same circuit and found it easy to balance intensities. Adjusting the brightness is done in the setup (GTNs have an internal profile). Rather than setting it in the air, I did it on the ground in a darkened hangar.

Last edited:
Back