Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2019, 11:54 AM

So I made a call today to Van’s. The upgrade nose gear is $3225.00 plus shipping, since I haven’t yet drilled for my old (WD-739-PC) mount.
They will not offer a trade for my old mount (and front leg), as they are more than 2 years old. There’s no mechanical difference to a current 739 mount or 603 leg, they’re just beyond a date chosen by Van’s. If they were less than 2 years old, they would offer $750 in trade.
The parts gal indicated that they are into mid-September for shipments of the rev A gear.
Current price for a new “Old” 739 mount is $1200, and new old 603 leg is $267.50.
Seems like there’s going to be a bunch of original design mounts and legs available out there, so selling them to offset the cost of the new A front may not be a significant help.
What to do now...
More thoughts?
Old 08-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Default Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazooRV-9A View Post
So I made a call today to Van’s. The upgrade nose gear is $3225.00 plus shipping, since I haven’t yet drilled for my old (WD-739-PC) mount.
They will not offer a trade for my old mount (and front leg), as they are more than 2 years old. There’s no mechanical difference to a current 739 mount or 603 leg, they’re just beyond a date chosen by Van’s. If they were less than 2 years old, they would offer $750 in trade.
The parts gal indicated that they are into mid-September for shipments of the rev A gear.
Current price for a new “Old” 739 mount is $1200, and new old 603 leg is $267.50.
Seems like there’s going to be a bunch of original design mounts and legs available out there, so selling them to offset the cost of the new A front may not be a significant help.
What to do now...
More thoughts?
I considered the value lost as part of cost. No way I will get $1400. I might get 1/2 of Vans $750 someday but I doubt it. Hurts but I like the added peace of mind and so does the better half.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/03/2019, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:04 PM

So by that thought, the sunk cost is upwards of $5K, if you already have bought your FF kit...
Are my chances of folding my original equipment nose gear that great?
Are there any published statistics on nose gear damage per flight hour on 7’s and 9’s?
And there’s no actual data yet on the Rev A mod field performance, for me to use for peace of mind. Revised hardware can have different effects.
I can’t get past the cost issue, with no data. I’ll grant you it looks more impressive and complex.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:05 PM

I'm with Larry-

The old mount/leg are sunk costs. If I ever get something out of the... great. If not, I'll just just make coffee at home more often vs. getting at a shop.
Working on finish kit/cowl
2018 and 2019 VAF dues paid
Old 08-05-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazooRV-9A View Post
So by that thought, the sunk cost is upwards of $5K, if you already have bought your FF kit...
Are my chances of folding my original equipment nose gear that great?
Are there any published statistics on nose gear damage per flight hour on 7’s and 9’s?
And there’s no actual data yet on the Rev A mod field performance, for me to use for peace of mind. Revised hardware can have different effects.
I can’t get past the cost issue, with no data. I’ll grant you it looks more impressive and complex.
You make great points. If you're not close to installing the engine mount and nose gear you can wait. I don't know what the lead time is on it.

As far as statistics nothing official. If someone's willing to do the research they could probably come up with rough numbers. Considering how long RV A models have been out there, a vast number of them flying, relatively few incidences, the original design seems satisfactory? Up to you. It's not robust but its weaknesses can be mitigated. Soft field landings on uneven surface is not its strength.

As far as the new one it looks heavier and maybe more drag? Can it have unknown issues itself? Won't know for years to come. You can always build it original and fly. Later then you can retrofit it if you choose, but that seems like a lot of extra work.

If you fly off hard surfaces, land properly, have well-balanced tire/wheel, modified bearings, anti-splat devices your chance of a problem seems remote. If cost is issue the choice seems obvious.

2020 Dues Paid

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 08-05-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
As far as the new one it looks heavier and maybe more drag? Can it have unknown issues itself?
Unknown? Here's one:

What will all of that revised (additional?) structure down near the base of the firewall do to the cooling outflow?
2019(?) RV-10
Old 08-05-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
Unknown? Here's one:

What will all of that revised (additional?) structure down near the base of the firewall do to the cooling outflow?
Scott M (rvbuilder2002) posted that the goal of the new "Cowl Louver Kit" was to improve cooling during climb with the new nose gear assembly.

Weight and CG effects were addressed in the SL announcing the new nose gear mod, Service Letter 19-04-30.

What hasn't been addressed to my knowledge, is whether Van's has, or will, give some relief to their published weight-on-nose-wheel limits, given the heavier new nose gear mod and its forward shift of the CG. See this post: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...3&postcount=19
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 08-05-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Scott M (rvbuilder2002) posted that the goal of the new "Cowl Louver Kit" was to improve cooling during climb with the new nose gear assembly.

Weight and CG effects were addressed in the SL announcing the new nose gear mod, Service Letter 19-04-30.

What hasn't been addressed to my knowledge, is whether Van's has, or will, give some relief to their published weight-on-nose-wheel limits, given the heavier new nose gear mod and its forward shift of the CG. See this post: http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...3&postcount=19
It was "addressed" at Airventure in a method that a detective had to deduce. haha

This pic is a screenshot of a picture John Bright posted from the QB kit with the new mount at Airventure. Read the second line from the bottom. So it seems to me that the engineers at Vans seem to find this new system to be stronger.

Capture by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
Wings done
Fuselage done
Finish kit almost done
Exempt but gladly paying!
Old 08-05-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
It was "addressed" at Airventure in a method that a detective had to deduce. haha

This pic is a screenshot of a picture John Bright posted from the QB kit with the new mount at Airventure. Read the second line from the bottom. So it seems to me that the engineers at Vans seem to find this new system to be stronger.

Capture by Jereme Carne, on Flickr
I'm glad they noted it somewhere. Now they just have to revise their published "weight-on-nose-wheel limits" Service Letter to reflect that there are no nose wheel weight limitations if the new NG mod is installed.

Thanks for the info!
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 08-05-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:44 AM

Land at the correct speed.

Use the MAIN gear like you should.

I am convinced this is a solution to a non problem. Except those who refuse to fly properly.

Give them stronger gear they will shift the resultant forces elsewhere from their bad piloting.

I may be wrong, but lots of RV's operating off a rough strip at my home field would suggest it is not the product design that is the problem.

And yes, two recent wrecks here in Australia just prove my theory. They were not the fault of the design.

Happy to take flack, but you will need a good argument because low experience pilots flying properly do not have a problem on rough strips.

David Brown

DYNON Authorised Dealer and Installer

The two best investments you can make, by any financial test, an EMS and APS!