- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbarsic View Post
Auburntsts, how well does the Aerosport spring system integrate with an autopilot? I want to avoid excessive work for the autopilot servo. I don't want the two systems to fight each other.
Most autopilots can only supply a limited amount of force. e.g.,if the airplane is way out of trim, especially in pitch, the autopilot may disconnect (as its maximum torque cannot correct a deviation). Virtually all low cost 3 axis autopilots call the third axis a ‘yaw damper’ because that’s what they do. While they can supply a small, constant offset for an out of trim condition they are limited in how much and how well they do that. Now, my opinion: I have a -10 with a fixed wedge on the rudder, which keeps the ball centered thru all the cruise speeds I routinely use. I have no yaw damper, nor do I contemplate getting one. I’ve never had a back seat passenger turn green or get sick (if I had, I might feel differently). I have a Trio Pro 2 axis autopilot with auto trim in the pitch axis. Works great, either stand-alone, or, usually, controlled by my GRT Hx EFIS. If you intend to shoot approaches with the autopilot the auto-trim is a nice option to have in the -10, where out of trim pitch forces are higher than the two seat RVs.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:50 PM

Default Yaw , yes please

I have been flying my RV-10 for 600+ hrs and have the wedge and Aerosport Rudder Trim,we get along fine.

On a customers recently completed RV-10 (VH-BKK) we installed the full Dynon/Aviydne kit with Yaw Dampner and all I can say is WOW what a difference.

It is pointless asking the front seat pilots and co-pilots if you need a Yaw Dampner , They sit on the centre spar, instead ask the rear passengers ,especially children and non flying public and they will all say YES please.

I have added it to my future Dynon upgrade list.
RV-10 #40597
Dual SDS CPI
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=140051
Airflow Systems Air-Con
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...4&postcount=15
VH-XTE 600hrs +
Redcliffe,Brisbane
Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7
Old 02-27-2020, 09:06 AM

I appreciate the help. VAN's Forums once again proves how awesome the community is.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:39 AM

Default From Dynon Documentation

“An added benefit to rudder control is that it automatically coordinates turns and provides rudder trim. The Yaw Damper subsystem of the autopilot combines these two features.“ p.8-7, Skyview Classic Pilot’s User Guide
RV Assembly Workshop - KOSH 2018
Old 03-01-2020, 09:45 AM

Default Yaw damper

The RV-10 is pretty much a feet on the floor aircraft except in take off and landing. Landing in a cross wind needs no explanation. Take off needs a big stab of rudder to counter while bringing the power in.

Cruise, I have found a substantial amount of tail wagging (as compared to a 182), helped a little by holding firm on both rudder pedals. I will probably add the yaw control to the autopilot in the future for rear seat passenger comfort.

The auto trim feature of the G3X system works by looping the electric trim power wires thru the respective servos. The servos trim off the torque of the servo by automatically powering the trim tabs. This feature will not work with manual trim systems, only powered.

As an added comment on whatever trim system you decide on, the RV-10 pitch trim at full speed is too touchy for cruise. So speed scheduling is a must in my opinion. If you use a VPX ECB system that feature is available as a step function at a pre-set speed. You can only access the set up in configuration mode with a laptop plugged into the ethernet cord. If you also have the G3X the trim can also run through that system. The G3X settings adjust trim speed over a preset reduction range (rather than a step function) with the access to adjust settings accessible through the PFD configuration page. My opinion is the G3X is better and more accessible.

Good luck on your build.
Dues paid 2020
Old 03-01-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leok View Post
As an added comment on whatever trim system you decide on, the RV-10 pitch trim at full speed is too touchy for cruise. So speed scheduling is a must in my opinion. .
Trio Pro with autotrim also has programable speeds. Can also be used manually with servos disengaged.