What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone have an engine mount (WD-1220) or know where I can get mine fixed?

Pilot1973

Hey folks,

I have an odd request. I have a 2014 S-LSA RV-12 and my A&P found a hairline crack in the engine mount (WD-1220). We can?t see to find anyone willing to weld it and a new one from VANS is on back order for a minimum of one month.

I?d be happy to send you the new one once I get it if you?d be willing to part with yours.

Alternatively, if you know of a shop that is willing to repair the current mount per AC43.13, I?d greatly appreciate a referral. So far no one we?ve asked is willing to touch it.

I?d love to get the airplane flying again ASAP!

Thanks,

Darren

Try Knisley Exhaust. They might be able to tackle it.

In Trade-a-Plane, www.awi-ami.com, 800-884-6201 ahows photos of engine mounts on their ad. They are an aerospace welding repair and overhaul company.

If one of these shops will perform "standard NDE" both before and after the repairs, choose them. The non-destructive examination, perhaps magnetic particle inspection, can fine both cracks that you'll miss visually beforehand and which might exist after the welding. But probably the welds will be fine. That's what the NDE is for, to catch the few bad ones that might slip by.

If you can't get NDE, at least use a 10 power glass on the engine mount.

Good luck!
Dave

Last edited:
Hey folks,

I have an odd request. I have a 2014 S-LSA RV-12 and my A&P found a hairline crack in the engine mount (WD-1220). We can’t see to find anyone willing to weld it and a new one from VANS is on back order for a minimum of one month.

I’d be happy to send you the new one once I get it if you’d be willing to part with yours.

Alternatively, if you know of a shop that is willing to repair the current mount per AC43.13, I’d greatly appreciate a referral. So far no one we’ve asked is willing to touch it.

I’d love to get the airplane flying again ASAP!

Thanks,

Darren

Can you describe where on the WD-1220 the crack was found?

i-FDd9zM7.png

When you talked to Van's, did you report the crack to their engineering people?

Last edited:
Tony,

See below. The crack is believed to have been caused by a hard landing by one of our pilots (this was not the only damage). ...and yes, VANS is aware.

49398841672_2a0b5c4c37_c.jpg

Last edited:
That PT result looks convincing, but you may want to sand off the powder coat and repeat it on bare metal in the remote chance it?s not a crack in the base metal.

Contact Steve Furjesi <[email protected]>.

He built me a new mount for my -9 after a particularly hard landing during a BFR.

He took my original mount, made a jig from it, built a new mount, and then sent it to Van's to have the gear leg bolt holes drilled in their jig and powder coating.

It worked great, expensive but was the only real option for me.

Thanks for the suggestions / recommendations. Vans was able to come up with a new mount sooner than expected. It'll be here by Friday and we'll go from there...

Back