What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing/Taxi/Nav/Strobe Lights

PH-SCP

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

My RV-9A has a simple strobe in both wingtips. I would like to add landing/taxi lights and keep some sort of nav/strobe combination too. Looked at the Aeroled AeroSun Vx ? Van?s RV Wingtips but find them rather expensive (at around$ 1000.00) Also my wingtips would need conversion. I understand that they do not have strobes/nav capability.

Kindly asking for advise. What would you do as a simple yet clean replacement with good powerful lights that do not interfere with radio transmissions and add as much as possible in nav and strobe capability ?

Here's my wingtip;

48908081011_e35f559314_b.jpg
[/url]1024_Wingtip&Strobe by Simon Paul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hi guys,

My RV-9A has a simple strobe in both wingtips. I would like to add landing/taxi lights and keep some sort of nav/strobe combination too. Looked at the Aeroled AeroSun Vx ? Van?s RV Wingtips but find them rather expensive (at around$ 1000.00) Also my wingtips would need conversion. I understand that they do not have strobes/nav capability.

Kindly asking for advise. What would you do as a simple yet clean replacement with good powerful lights that do not interfere with radio transmissions and add as much as possible in nav and strobe capability ?

Here's my wingtip;

48908081011_e35f559314_b.jpg
[/url]1024_Wingtip&Strobe by Simon Paul, on Flickr[/IMG]

Hi,
I just completed building my wingtip lights from a kit supplied by Flyleds. I haven't flown yet, but the LEDs are VERY bright and draw almost no power. They have kits for position and strobe alone or with landing lights too, and all fit in the Vans wingtip cutout space.
I was initially reluctant to build them myself because I don't have a lot of experience soldering electronics, but their instructions were extremely clear and very helpful-- tailored to someone like me. Flyleds has an option where they will build your lights for a fee, but I'd "roll my own" again in a heartbeat.
And their products are significantly less money than most of the other options I looked at.

So I'd recommend you check them out. I think if you search the forums you'll find a lot of happy Flyled customers. I am certainly one!

FlyLEDs are fantastic. They are crazy bright and look like they were meant to be there. A lot of the older existing lights were designed to go on the end of old airplane wingtips and look weird inside the plexi on the RV wingtip.

In my RV I have the Original nav/strobe and added a Seven Suns as a landing light in my duckworks cutout. It is BRIGHT!

https://flyleds.com/

Lots of options

Hi Simon,

You are correct that the AeroSunVX was originally designed for the RV7/8 wing, rather than the RV9. As you can see from Patrick?s installation, we do offer other lights that will fit your wingtip. Here?s a picture of our AeroSunMX lights which are modular, provide landing & recognition, and are VERY bright. You already have the brightest NAV/Strobe available with the Pulsar NS. Due to the light-beam directional requirements, I am not aware of any lights on the market which offer landing/taxi/nav/strobe all in one unit. Happy to send you any datasheets you?d like to review.:)

Natalie

Thanks a lot everybody.This forum really is very helpful.

I contacted FlyLeds and will most likely go for the single or double-spotlights since I already have the strobes. Just hope it all fits in the limited cutout beneath the plexi.

Thanks again !

Back