What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baffle install query...

kbalch

Well Known Member
I test fit the baffles to the engine and, while the manual mentions that the right side might be difficult and require temporary repositioning of the oil return line (it didn't), it makes no mention of the left side - and that one is a bear and a half!! I gave up after five minutes or so, figuring that I might only get it to slip into place once and didn't want to remove it.

So, for those -14A builders ahead of me, what's the secret? Exactly how is the left aft baffle fit into place on the engine?

Basically, unless you trim the left rear baffle down some, you can't get it on without scratching something.

I chose a myriad of colorful metaphors during the install :eek:

It really needs to be installed before hanging the engine.

Basically, unless you trim the left rear baffle down some, you can't get it on without scratching something.

Yep, I found that out the hard way. Oh, well - nobody's likely to ever see my airplane with cowling off, anyway.

It really needs to be installed before hanging the engine.

That's the sort of information which belongs in the manual, but Van's... :rolleyes:

Just finished up my IO-360 baffles on my 7; early on, it was an absolute bear to get them on; I scraped off tons of paint from the #3 valve cover. However, after taking them on and off a million times during fitting, I now know the tricks, and each slides on pretty smoothly.

You just need to do it 999,999 more times, and you'll get the hang of it ....

It's a serious learning process.

I found the ?tab?on the left rear baffle causes most of the interference pain. I bent it some and the baffle fit right in. Then just bend it back.

Good call - bending that tab was the solution. It barely required any bending back, either.

Onward! :)

Back