What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV14A throttle quadrant

VJO

I'm New Here
Im just getting started with a 14A. Id like to have a console throttle quadrant similar to the console/throttle quadrant set up for the RV10 offered by AeroSport. Aerosport does not currently offer it for the 14.

Has anyone installed a console throttle quadrant on the RV14 and could they point me in the right direction?

My buddy and I both installed the Van?s RV-10 throttle quadrants in our RV-14As. Not a console, but look nice and perform well. It is an easy installation, too. :D

VJO If you text me at (847)477-8663 I will send you a picture of my center console/throttle set up that I am finishing up.

Welcome to VAF!

Dayton Murdock AKA DJM Manufacturing makes the throttle quadrants and he has told me on more than one occasion that the RV-10 TQ kit should fit perfectly in the 14, as that part is supposed to be the same. (I don't know, only repeating what I have been told.)

I did install one of his TQ's in my -9 and LOVE it. For me, it was not a plug-and-play installtion and there are pictures on the instrument panel page of my website. Three panels later, I have kept the TQ and switch panels and wouldn't fly with a Cessna style throttle.

Since the topic came up....... Here is what we are currently working on in our secret lab! :):):) Mike L built a custom console for his aircraft, and we built the face plate for the center quadrant mount location

3d%20Printed%20Prototype%20Quadrant%20for%20linking.jpeg

The first prototype laser etched plate was finished yesterday evening and is enroute to Mike today.

Anodized%20Plate%20For%20Linking.jpg

This initial unit required extensive fabrication as the unit effectively mounts above the center tunnel in a fabricated aluminum center console. This console could be made with fiberglass, but that is not an area of expertise that we have. I know there are other great vendors out there (Aerosport) that specialize in this. In short, the plate is only one very small part of this modification. We are not certain yet where exactly this project will go, but it's fun to be a small part of this highly customized RV14 build.

Happy Building,
Steve

Last edited:
RV14 throttle quadrant

All, I am in the same position with my build. I have a throttle quadrant for my 14, but haven?t worked out the installation yet. Currently I am installing wiring and avionics from Advanced Flight.

I would appreciate any information. Qui- may I request your photos?

Jeffrey Turner
N39JT reserved

All, I am in the same position with my build. I have a throttle quadrant for my 14, but haven?t worked out the installation yet. Currently I am installing wiring and avionics from Advanced Flight.

I would appreciate any information. Qui- may I request your photos?

Jeffrey Turner
N39JT reserved

Check out the RV-10 installation kit. If that doesn't work, I described how I installed mine on my website.

https://repucci.com/bill/instruments.html

3d%20Printed%20Prototype%20Quadrant%20for%20linking.jpeg

Happy Building,
Steve

For me, the panel was all about ergonomics.

I spent a long time studying ergonomics and cockpit designs before I cut any metal in my panel.

Here are a couple of things that I do not like about this design:

1. The fuel valve is blocked by the throttle at full (cruise) power
2. Starting requires two hands and yet the starter button is right next to the throttle lever. When starting a fuel injected engine, this is going to be real challenge with the starter button below the throttle. Where are the ignition switches?
This layout could be a real issue, if a restart in flight is required!
3. The friction lever is right where it will be bumped when moving the mixture back. This will allow all the levers to creep, which can quickly become a safety of flight issue.

Just my observation.

I have been flying for almost 1000 hours with my throttle quadrant, see picture above, but with three different panels. One thing that I really like is that with the quadrant mounted on the bottom of the panel, I don't have to move my hand very far to tune radios, turn on the fuel pump, taxi, landing, and position lights, enter new way points etc. The less hand movement, the better.

Bill and all,

I am only involved in the fabrication of the laser etched face plate for this highly customized build. I wanted to do some testing on a new laser machine we have, and my friend Mike was working on this project. He put a lot of time into studying the ergonomics of his airplane and decided he did not like the location of the quadrant under the panel as the ergonomics didn't feel right to him.

I guess that's the beauty of experimental aviation. I think Bill put it best in his tagline...

"Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!"

Last edited:
Back