What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TIS-A Traffic

skyyking

Has anyone been able to use the Garmin GNS430 to display the “free” TIS-A traffic? Hooked it up via pin 48 on the GNS430 which is the ARINC 429 IN 1A but no joy. Keep getting the message “no input data”.

Again my main question to you out there: were you able to make TIS-A play on the GNS430, and if so, how? RS-232 or ARINC?

Please help, thanks!

Unit is WAAS with the latest software. TIS-A Traffic input is from a TT-31 Trig and/or KT-74 Bendix/King transponder. Using pin 2 on the Trig and pin 6 on the King. Both show on the pin outs diagram as being the TIS-A OUT data, one wire.

Last edited:
No idea about your question (where is the data coming from?) but for sure, ARINC is a two wire system. You need a second line to IN 1B if it has any chance to work.

G430 and TISA TRAFFIC

I have only Recieved traffic on my G430W over ARINC from a NAVWORX ADSB unit. There are very few non Garmin ADSB units that will provide ARINC TIS-A traffic to a G430. Yes you need 2 ARINC wires to complete a TX or RX data connection (A & B). I recieve traffic and WX over RS422 on my old MX20 also from my NAVWORX ADSB unit. The NAVWORX unit can also send traffic to a GPS Map 496 over RS232. But this doesn't work on the G430.

Cecil

Has anyone been able to use the Garmin GNS430 to display the ?free? TIS-A traffic? Hooked it up via pin 48 on the GNS430 which is the ARINC 429 IN 1A but no joy. Keep getting the message ?no input data?.

Again my main question to you out there: were you able to make TIS-A play on the GNS430, and if so, how? RS-232 or ARINC?

Please help, thanks!

Is this for a non-WAAAS GNS 430? If so, what software level is loaded on the unit?

What transponder are you wanting to use to send TIS-A traffic to the 430?

There are instances where this will work, it depends on the specific equipment being used.

Thanks,

Justin

Yes

I had a 430 connected to a gtx 330 and the 430 displayed TIS-A. I was told in November by a Garmin rep that because of TIS-B, TIS-A was going away.

Summary.
1. You need to read the documentation. If the link is ARINC, you need two wires. If it is RS232, then one wire (plus common ground) but the Format must be set to match the Garmin requirements at both the 430 and the TT-31. This format is Garmin-proprietary and many non-Garmin transponders will not have it (cannot say about Trig or King). As noted above, TIS-A is now available only in limited areas, and is probably going away. I?d concentrate on getting an ADSB-in box instead.

TIS-A was only ever available in terminal areas and is being decommissioned as it is superseded by TIS-B. I believe the decommissioning is being done by attrition of the ATC radar that it is a part of.

I read the documentation but it is not clear, hence in me reaching out if anyone has been able to make this work via PIN 48 (GPS ARINC IN 1A) on the Garmin 430?

RS232 TIS-A Setup

The TT31 manual indicates that the TT31 sends traffic info in a proprietary format if you use its RS232 output. So I think you have to stick with ARINC, and ARINC requires two wires, wire A and wire B.

From the TT31 Installation Manual and the 400W Series Installation Manual (see especially section 5.3)...

TT31 -------------------> 430W
pin E (ARINC Traffic B) ---> pin 49 (GPS ARINC 429 IN 1 B)
pin F (ARINC Traffic A) ---> pin 48 (GPS ARINC 429 IN 1 A)

Then use the 430W's ARINC configuration screens to set:
DATA = "traffic advisory" on IN 1,
SPEED = "low" on IN 1

Press the Ent key to save the settings. See if it works; if not, try SPEED = "high" speed on IN 1.

BTW, seems like you could configure the 430W to send "ADSB-Plus" to the TT31, and with a few button pushes, you'd be ADS-B Out compliant. This would require connecting one of the 430W's RS232 outputs to the TT31. Then, with a cheap ADS-B receiver and a tablet PC, voila, glorious hi-res traffic!

Back