What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D180 primary with D100 backup?

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
I have a RV-8 with 0-360 and Dynon D180 with AP74 autopilot (getting its GPS signal from a Garmin 496), Dynon OAT, Dynon AOA heated pitot, Garmin 327.

In my quest to make it IFR I’ll be upgrading the 496 to the Garmin 175 and would like to add a backup EFIS that would also run my autopilot if my D180 craps out.

As much as I’d like to change everything for a Skyview system there’s too much to swap out so I’m looking for alternatives.

If the D180 completely shut down would my autopilot keep working with just the Garmin 175? If so I’m done, no need to keep reading :D I’ll also use my iPad for better situational awareness until I land and fix the D180.

If not, would adding a Dynon D3 pocket panel permanently installed as a backup run my autopilot?

What about a D6 or D60 or D100 or another D180 or a D10a ?

What about another brand of EFIS running my current Dynon autopilot servos?
For example:
a Garmin G5,
MGL EXTREME MINI EFIS,
MGL- STRATOMASTER XTREME EFIS,
UAVIONIX AV-30,
GRAND RAPIDS MINI-GA 4.3,
AVMAP ULTRA - EFIS
or another I haven’t seen?

Another option would be to leave my D180 as an engine monitor and backup and make a G5 my primary but then I don’t know if I’d have to replace my Dynon autopilot servos with Garmin servos....

I’m trying as we all do to make this as simple and cheap as I can, help !!

Last edited:
If you are wanting to keep the D180. Like myself who also has only has a D180 and can t justify changing to Skyview, But I have come close to buying a D10A several times. With the single com bus wire, The D10A would show all that would have been on the failed D180 screen. The D180 has been and remains to be a solid instrument for me for EFIS and EMS. Im not sure how the autopilot interfaces to that , i use a stand alone EZ Pilot.

If you are wanting to keep the D180. Like myself who also has only has a D180 and can t justify changing to Skyview, But I have come close to buying a D10A several times. With the single com bus wire, The D10A would show all that would have been on the failed D180 screen. The D180 has been and remains to be a solid instrument for me for EFIS and EMS. Im not sure how the autopilot interfaces to that , i use a stand alone EZ Pilot.

Thanks !! I’m sure others have also done this and can tell me more regarding the autopilot and the servos regarding the other EFIS brands.

I have the FD180 and D10A in my 8. If the FD180 fails I should have all the info available on the D10A by changing pages but the autopilot (Dynon) would be inop.

Answer to question.

A D-10A or D-100 would be perfect for what you want. With either one of those, you can have lateral autopilot commands to continue running your autopilot. No other thing required.

Now, if you want to add vertical guidance like the LPV approaches, after you add a D-10A or D-100, then all you need to do is add the HS34 module because you need the 429 output from the GPS 175 to the HS34 for vertical guidance. If wired correctly, both units will run the autopilot if either the displays failed.

I connected a GNX375 to a D-100 for lateral autopilot control without the HS34, just the AP74 module on a friends aircraft, and I made a pinout diagram for him.

If interested and you want to go the way of the D-10A or D-100 and the HS34, I can easily add those to the diagram and email it to you.

My email is [email protected]

Brian

The Dynon autopilot is built into the D-180. If the D-180 quits working, so does the autopilot. The AP74 is not an autopilot. It is only a convenient way to control the autopilot that is built into the D-180. The AP74 is optional. The autopilot can be controlled using just the D-180 buttons.
I am pretty sure that the Dynon servos only work with Dynon EFISs and no other brands.

A D-10A or D-100 would be perfect for what you want. With either one of those, you can have lateral autopilot commands to continue running your autopilot. No other thing required.

Now, if you want to add vertical guidance like the LPV approaches, after you add a D-10A or D-100, then all you need to do is add the HS34 module because you need the 429 output from the GPS 175 to the HS34 for vertical guidance. If wired correctly, both units will run the autopilot if either the displays failed.

I connected a GNX375 to a D-100 for lateral autopilot control without the HS34, just the AP74 module on a friends aircraft, and I made a pinout diagram for him.

If interested and you want to go the way of the D-10A or D-100 and the HS34, I can easily add those to the diagram and email it to you.

Brian

Thanks for all the replies.

Brian, I?m emailing you right now.

I have a RV-8 with 0-360 and Dynon D180 with AP74 autopilot (getting its GPS signal from a Garmin 496), Dynon OAT, Dynon AOA heated pitot, Garmin 327.

In my quest to make it IFR I?ll be upgrading the 496 to the Garmin 175 and would like to add a backup EFIS that would also run my autopilot if my D180 craps out.

As much as I?d like to change everything for a Skyview system there?s too much to swap out so I?m looking for alternatives.

If the D180 completely shut down would my autopilot keep working with just the Garmin 175? If so I?m done, no need to keep reading :D I?ll also use my iPad for better situational awareness until I land and fix the D180.

If not, would adding a Dynon D3 pocket panel permanently installed as a backup run my autopilot?

What about a D6 or D60 or D100 or another D180 or a D10a ?

What about another brand of EFIS running my current Dynon autopilot servos?
For example:
a Garmin G5,
MGL EXTREME MINI EFIS,
MGL- STRATOMASTER XTREME EFIS,
UAVIONIX AV-30,
GRAND RAPIDS MINI-GA 4.3,
AVMAP ULTRA - EFIS
or another I haven?t seen?

Another option would be to leave my D180 as an engine monitor and backup and make a G5 my primary but then I don?t know if I?d have to replace my Dynon autopilot servos with Garmin servos....

I?m trying as we all do to make this as simple and cheap as I can, help !!

Both the D-10A and D-100 can control Dynon servos.

May need to change settings in the D-10A or D-100 for them to take over as servo controllers (auto pilot), but no reason they wouldn't work.

Finn

I?m going through an upgrade which will add a D180 for EFIS redundancy to my current D100. With the DSAB network you need to assign an EFIS as the buss master, the master will control the communication between devices and becomes the autopilot control interface. If you lose the master you lose the ability to share information between devices which also means you will lose your interface with the autopilot.

https://www.dynonavionics.com/includes/guides/FlightDEK-D180_Installation_Guide_Rev_H.pdf#page79

Brian

It's long been my understanding that Dynon did not continue development of vertical guidance on the pre SkyView products. I have a GTN 650, D180, HS34, and a pair of Dynon servos as the autopilot in my Rocket and I've never found any way to enable vertical guidance beyond manually dialing in a descent or climb. If you have a way for the 180 to follow a glideslope I'd sure like to hear it.

In fact, this lack of vertical steering is why I'm considering replacing my D10A with a G5 and migrating to a Garmin autopilot (based on the G5). I'll retain the D180 because it's an excellent unit for my needs otherwise.

Last edited:
Back