VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-24-2020, 06:59 AM

It’s a phobia. My son is an aerospace engineer working on the F18 turbine and won’t fly with me and I can’t keep my wife out of the back seat of my(our) -8. My son knows too much and my wife doesn’t know enough! Works for me.
RV8 - The Project #83313 - Under Construction
Old 01-24-2020, 11:18 AM

every post here resonates with me.

my wife also has one car accident per year. her irrational fear is that either the wings or the tail (rudder) will fall off. seriously. has it ever happened?

serious questions:

1. if one control cable breaks, does the airplane continue to be controllable?

2. for those of you who do aerobatics, would a parachute be a good idea?

I am pretty sure I will not install one. but I need argumentation advice...I am probably not the only one.

Last edited by iaw4 : 01-24-2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:49 PM

Which cables are you talking about? It is all push/pull rods. There is a cable on tail wheels (or chains), if these broke you could use diff brakes, however I'd pick somewhere without a cross wind.

I do a little acro, I stay well within the envelope and don't push anything. Basic loops and such. I thought about a chute for a while then decided against it. The only thing I could think of was unrecoverable spin that would lead to me getting out. I don't think those are even possible in am RV, when in the envelope. I rarely exceed 4g, so not worried about damage. I guess I could have a bird strike that could damage the plane bad enough to where it couldn't fly.

2019 VAF Dues Paid
RV8 N189DK
Old 01-24-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaw4 View Post
every post here resonates with me.

my wife also has one car accident per year. her irrational fear is that either the wings or the tail (rudder) will fall off. seriously. has it ever happened?
Honestly? Yes, it's happened, but due to some other cause like exceeding g limits or the like.

You can't "argue" anyone into being comfortable with flight. And it's probably *worse* for a spouse or SO to try to do so...they need to understand their fears and work through them with someone who is as non-judgemental as possible. Yeah, yeah...we all think we're super-nice and understanding and all that, but I can assure you, no matter how great a partner you are, you're not THAT good, if they have a phobia or extremely heightened fear of __________.

And the more you try to "convince" them about something, the more pressure they will feel.

Now, if it's just and "I'm not sure...how safe is it? Can you tell me about it to help me be more comfortable?" kind of person, yeah, no worries. I've worked with plenty of those...a little trepidation at first, but some education and talking with them, and a brief intro flight and they realize there's really nothing to be scared of. They may never get *totally* comfortable with it, but they don't outright fear it.

But someone with a serious fear or phobia? Different ballpark.