What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Space Behind Panel for an Avidyne 540?

Snoho3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

Does anyone have any pics of an Avidyne 540 install from behind the panel? Just getting started on this area and the first thing I ran into is that the distance between the sub panel and the main panel will not accommodate the 540 unit. On my panel the 540is located in line with the canopy release that is mounted on the aft side of the sub panel. Uh-oh. Cutting holes in the sub panel will be problematic, to say the least.

I have to believe that others have faced this problem before, maybe not with the Avidyne unit. Unfortunately, none of my go-to blog sites address this issue, and a search doesn?t turn anything up. Anyone have any pics or care to comment?

As always, thanks in advance for any suggestions or input.

Awesome - thanks Scott. Exactly the type of pic I was looking for. (Others welcome too of course.) going to be pain to get in there and make a cut, but necessary. Did you beef up the sub panel after you made the hole?

cutting into subpanel

Get out the hacksaw. You will have to make holes in precious sheet metal subpanel to provide space for avionics. Garmin 430 required a big square hole in the subpanel. Dynon D6 packup EFIS required hole in the subpanel. Just get use to making nice holes and reinforcing as you deem necessary. Also note these avionics that are long and heavy should have an attachment at their back end (Forward on airplane coordinates) to help secure them. You won't recognize the subpanel when you're done, but everything will fit and work like you want.

You can see some cutting here. http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...n&project=607&category=4646&log=251838&row=41

Back