What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gear Leg Sequence

pilot28906

Well Known Member
I am almost ready to put the gear on the RV7 and want to know if most have put the gear on the engine mount before installing the brake and wheel assembly to the gear? Is it easier to do with the gear off or should the gear be installed on the engine mount for alignment, etc.?

Thanks

Don?t see an answer to this...

But I am at the same point in my build and have the same question. Anyone?

Also, a comment - I spent way too much time last night searching for the 5/16 bolts for the brake mounting brackets. Turns out one comes in one sub-kit bag, the other comes in another sub-kit bag. Brilliant!:eek:

Personal preference, but attaching the brakes to the gear legs "on the bench" is much easier than doing it at ground level once the fuse is on the gear.

I made the mistake of putting the gear on too early in my build. Im building an A, so maybe different but it was sure easier to work on the panel and all the stuff in the fuselage without having to stand on a stool. I was too anxious to see how it looked. I ended up taking the gear off to make things easier to finish up.

I did mount the brakes before I put the legs back on.

....I spent way too much time last night searching for the 5/16 bolts for the brake mounting brackets. Turns out one comes in one sub-kit bag, the other comes in another sub-kit bag. Brilliant!:eek:

Might be worth considering getting parts bins and sorting the bags into them. It's much easier to find the parts when you're looking for a part number and they're all organized.

Saves hours!

Dave

I went ahead and put the brakes on the gear then attaching them to the engine mount. I have it on saw horses and will put the wheels/tires on next.

I made the mistake of putting the gear on too early in my build. Im building an A, so maybe different but it was sure easier to work on the panel and all the stuff in the fuselage without having to stand on a stool. I was too anxious to see how it looked. I ended up taking the gear off to make things easier to finish up.

I did mount the brakes before I put the legs back on.

I'm probably one of the few that have a tire scuff on the ceiling of the shop.
I left my fuselage upside down during much of thhe construction including avionics install and landing gear. We scuffed the ceiling turning it rightside up. :D

Back