What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight with the ambassador of Venice

Skykingbob

Well Known Member
I consider VAF somewhat of an E/AB Swiss Army Knife of blog sights. It is a great place to find help on whatever RV model you are building, a great place to find great building tips, ideas for mods, unending eternal debates of primers or nose dragger/tail dragger debates.....and the list goes on and on and on....

But one of the greatest things of this site is the folks you get to meet as the result of communicating on the forum. I am so often amazed at the great folks you meet in aviation as a whole(yes and the sour grapes are there too!). But I think that you meet people on the VAF forum that DR has provided that up the level of being top class of the aviation community.....one of those people that I have been privileged to acquaint and befriend is Gary Palinkas...The Ambassador of Venice (FL).

compDSC_0043_zpsjgikro1m.jpg

I met Gary a couple years ago while at Venice and we have become friends since. Gary gave me my FIRST ride in an RV....a memorable flight indeed in his RV6.5(RV6 with a -7 vert stab/rudder)

Fast forward. Some time ago Gary asked if I would like to have access to an RV on my trips to Venice that take place several times a year.

Hmmmm....after considering this for about 5 seconds....I said SURE!!! So Gary checked me out in his aircraft...but I had not flown it solo. So coming to VNC yesterday, I spoke with Gary and asked about going on dawn patrol...we met at the hanger at 0630....I found Gary already at the hanger prepping the airplane...and the sky beckoning to us!

compDSC_0007_zpsyoiem7x8.jpg

We cranked up and pierced the sky of a beautiful Florida morning!

compDSC_0009_zpsw6wsyxhy.jpg

compDSC_0013_zps4gyw2wqh.jpg

During the flight Gary would point out the features and idiosyncrasies of his airplane. It was a local flight in the cool of the morning. After a while we decided to go back and land.

compDSC_0010_zps3fjtnin8.jpg

That's when Gary suggested I take her solo and see how she is with only one on board. GULP....ok will give it a shot. It is always stressful to borrow other folks stuff.....but it multiplies when you know they have invested hundreds...no thousands of hours of sweat, cuts, frustration, etc. on building an airplane:eek:

Well.....ok here goes!

compDSC_0022_zpsrgl5oqpp.jpg

compDSC_0024_zpsh2ar9ag8.jpg

compDSC_0030_zpsazjzyngr.jpg

Ambassador of Venice - cont

So about 30 minutes and two landings later I returned with an "un-bent" airplane.....and a slightly bruised ego :) I have time in an RV8 which lands different than an RV6.5 !

compDSC_0039_zpsxgitesev.jpg

compDSC_0019_zpsg4yzxxlg.jpg

So I have to say that I am humbled and challenged by the likes of people such as Gary...and Rick, Jim, Rob, Ralph, Lonn, Mike, Vlad, Doug, Walt, Rick, and so many others in the RV community that have taught me so much and made me want to emulate them......to all.......thank you so much for your friendship!

How it feels Gary to see your airplane airborne from the ground? Please do tell. Bob that's a great story! The Sheriff provided me with a lot of intel on my early cross country trips. Top notch guy!

Great write up, nice pictures

Nicely said Bob and I have to agree - It is a great community of people, for sure. Congrats on adding yet another RV to your checkout/solo - life is good! :D

Here's to more great airplanes and meeting more great airplane people.

Oh fer cryin' out loud, now you've gone and done it. We have to live with this guy!

And for the record, most of the other Venetians are less "scruffy". We have to work for a living.

Back