What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-3: Canopy Skirt or "I Thought This was an All-Metal Monoplane!"

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Lately, we seem to be surrounded by fiberglass! In the past two weeks, we have built an empennage fairing, two cowl cheek extensions, and now a canopy skirt, all from raw fiberglass materials. ?Why?? you may ask?.?why are you building those things from scratch?! All the other Van?s kits come with all the pieces you need!? Ahh, grasshopper?.the RV-3 is different?.

The plans and kit for the RV-3 assume that you are pretty good at making compound curves in aluminum sheet and making things fit in a world where nothing is pre-punched and no two airplanes are identical. The cowl cheek extensions are provided as two triangular-shaped pieces of sheet metal with a slight curve and a pair of formed bulkheads that fit about as well as the fuselage bulkheads (which means ?so-so?). The Canopy skirt parts are likewise aluminum, obviously rough-worked on a stretcher of some kind to give a little bit of a bubble shape ? but the curve is dependent on the shape of both the fuselage and the canopy, and no two of those are really alike, so?.no, they are sort of non-starters as well. The fiberglass empennage fairing is nicely in a gel-coated way ? but again, the fit leaves something to be desired because so much depends on how you built the tail feathers. The net result is that it is far easier to learn a little fiberglassing and build new parts from scratch than it is to try and beat these things in to submission. At least they provide you with raw parts on which to build forms and molds!

The canopy skirt is a good example. Once we had riveted on the turtle deck, the boot cowl was finished with screws, and the canopy bubble and frame were installed, it was time to build up a male ?mold? for the skirt. We followed the lead of several prominent and recent RV-3B builders, and referred to Randy and Rob?s pictures quite a bit (and it is impossible to ignore the outstanding composite ?how to? advice of Dan Horton!). We used the supplied skirt material to close out the big rectangular holes on each side of the canopy frame, cutting off what I didn?t need. 3/32? countersunk pop rivets were used in a few places for temporary attachment. The plan was to use lots of clay to form the necessary fillets between the canopy, skirt, and fuselage, but I was quite surprised at how little it actually took ? I think we used about 5 sticks of non-hardening modeling clay (about the size of a stick of butter) for all that we needed. I actually found that aluminum tape worked will to build fillets ? cut it in to short segments to allow for compound curves. The only large area that needed to be build up was a mismatch between the port rear side of the canopy frame and the turtle deck, and again, this was filled in with clay over aluminum tape.

IMG_5835.JPG

IMG_5836.JPG

The clay didn?t really need to be smoothed to the mirror-finish that I expected ? uniform streaks in the direction of the airflow seemed to be fine, as we covered the entire mold with 2? electricians? vinyl ?bundling tape? before fiberglassing. This makes compound curves much better than clear mailing tape, and is not as prone to wrinkles. You can also do a little smoothing of the clay underneath once it has been applied. The tape doesn?t really stick to the oily clay, but it sticks fine to itself, so start where you have clean aluminum, then use a generous overlap. It really helped during the lay-up process to draw the expected final outline of the skirt on the tape, both for the bottom edge and on the bubble ? that way, we knew that we had sufficient material where we wanted it. We used an old can of turtle-wax spread liberally on the tape as further mold-release.

IMG_5844.JPG

We didn?t take any pictures of the lay-up process itself, because for two ?rookie? composite folks, it was intense enough that we didn?t really have time to pick up the camera. In retrospect, we had plenty of time ? we just didn?t want to embed the camera in resin! We used 4 plies of 8.9 ounce ?BID? from Aircraft Spruce to make the layup, layering the four plies on the table and wetting it out that way between layers of 4-mil plastic sheeting. We basically made a single lay-up for each side, a series of strips for the front and rear quarters, and a continuously curving piece for the rear. We used West Systems resin with slow hardener, and in the Houston summer, it was set up firm in about four hours ? but we gave it overnight before touching it, and it is amazing the difference between ?firm? and ?rock hard?. Don?t sand until it is ?rock hard?. And watch out for those splinters ? wear gloves, or you?ll be donating lots of blood to the project!

IMG_5846.JPG

Once the piece was hard, we pried it off pretty easily and began trimming. We could see our previous markings through the lay-up, and traced these with Sharpies to give us a guide. The cut-off wheel and 90-degree sanding disks made quick work of the excess, and then it was on to final fit. Four clecoes (two per side) picked up pre-drilled holes in the canopy and canopy from ? those anchored the position so that we could drill holes for the latch shaft and mounting screws. And with that, it is ready for endless filling and finishing. It?s good to have the actual structure complete, and the truth is, it only took about four 3-hour work sessions from start to finish. It is about as artistic as it gets in RV construction ? it helps to picture where the air molecules are going to go as they find their way around the airplane.

IMG_5851.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG

IMG_5859.JPG

On to fill and sand!

Paul

Beautiful! Man, I gotta get down there one of these days to see Junior before he hatches and leaves the nest... won't be long from the looks of it!

Wow! Simply wow. For an insanely short moment, you inspired me to consider a 3B project (then reality returned along with my sanity) :)

Like the rest of RV Nation, I'm really looking forward to seening Junion in person one day!

Nice looking part, and it doesnt look like youll need much filler either. I still cant get passed that roll bar. What material/wall thickness pipe did you use for it?

You're welcome Louise. The beauty of it is the great job with two fundamental principles.

(1) use whatever works for shape; tape, clay, sheet metal, foam, wood, whatever.....be creative.

(2) time spent making the form as perfect as possible pays huge time dividends later. You spent the time and you'll reap the payoff shortly when you fill. As Rob says, it's not going to take a lot.....less work, lighter part.

You spent more time on the form than the actual glasswork, yes?

Small detail....it's hard to say for sure from a photo, but the layup looks a little dry. I think I'm seeing voids (air bubbles in the layup), the white patches. I've marked a few here:

2wom0sl.jpg

Maybe just a photo trick, but if you have a few voids here's the deal.

It is real easy to wind up on the dry side with plain weave fabric rolled between plastic, and peel ply without additional wetting can suck up even more resin.

Voids in more than about 10% of the area would be unacceptable in structural glass, but make no real difference in this fairing. The only concern is how they can act with air pressure changes (sometimes you get one which will bubble up or depress) and how well they will withstand use in service (a bubble one ply down makes for a fragile surface).

No big deal; razor the top off any void located just under the top ply, sand a little, and fill it with micro when you do the surface fill. A void two plies deep isn't worth fooling with unless it is large. If you want to stabilize it for some reason just cut a little semicircle with a razor blade along one edge of the bubble and work some epoxy up between the plies.

See ya next week.

Last edited:
Excellent Write Up

And great looking results! I've been klutzing around redoing the factory skirts on my 8 project for 2 months and after reading this I want to start all over. Thanks for a great article Paul.

Jerald King
RV8 finishing
Tucson

Thanks for the words on the voids Dan - more extremely easy to understand stuff from you that helps us all! Knowing how to fix a void is good, because I have had those happen in my work before.

I went out to take a look, because I was a little worried about voids as well. In this case, those spots are sort of a trick of the reflected light and where the peel-ply stuck well versus where it didn't. As we were applying the layers, I could tell that - just as you said - we had gotten the layup a little dry in spots, so I used a brush and squootched in some additional resin to make sure it was all saturated before it set up.

Now my goal is to use much less filler than I have in the past - I am one of those guys who (traditionally) probably ends up sanding off 80% of what I apply. I just mixed two squirts of resin and enough micro to make a dry mix, and that covered the WHOLE skirt with a single layer intended to fill the weave - not build up a huge layer. I'll sand that when it cures and see where the low spots are before filling again. No use making more dust than I have to.

And great looking results! I've been klutzing around redoing the factory skirts on my 8 project for 2 months and after reading this I want to start all over. Thanks for a great article Paul.

I was actually thinking this morning that while it really didn't take me that long to do my -8 skirts, I bet that if I had done them from scratch with what I know now......

Paul

A good test for voids is to take a quarter, and tap the edge of it on the glass-----you can hear the difference in the sound when you tap over a void area.

For smoothing out dry micro, use a heat gun CAREFULLY to warm up the mix after you blob it on, then a broad blade putty knife to smooth it. Warm up the knife blade also.

Some folks have spread straight resign on the glass with a paint brush, and then sifted straight microballons on over that, let it kick off, and dust off the excess-------I never tried that, seems to be a way to add weight.

Good lookin stuff, keep up the good work.

Looks great -

I don't feel qualified to comment on fibreglass work with DanH and others here but I did the hard yards building my RV-6 and I would just like to share my observations -

1. PVA is a fantastic mould release agent - much much better than the layers of tape like I see you have used. The tape as you probably have seen leaves its impression on the underside of the fairing, plus it is painfully difficult to remove from the aluminim skin.
With the PVA (liquid from the fibreglass supplier)brush on three layers and allow to dry between each coat. After laying up the many layers of glass the finished piece will just pop off the fuselage, and the PVA layer can be simply peeled off which ever surface it has decided to stick to.

2. Use a syringe with needle to punch through and inject the raw epoxy into the void layers. Too easy. The most difficult aspect of ths is acquiring the syringes and needles!

3. When laying up by hand use excessive resin to completely saturate the glass and the peel ply. If the peel ply is dry you can be 100% sure you have voids in the glass underneath. Roll/squeege the layers to ensure as much of the excess resin from the build up is forced out through the peel ply. The volume of resin is needed to flood the glass only, the excess is removed with the peel ply.

4. Although the finish after removing the peel ply looks lovely - it also masks (ie hides) the dry areas. Sand the surface (120 grit) to a smooth finish and using a dry brush spread as thin a layer of resin (unthinned resin) as you can over the surface. The objective is to fill the surface voids (future pin holes) now.
Repeat this step until the cured epoxy finish is a glassy smooth surface without any surface imperfections.
Note: the resin is normal consistency - the layer you put on is thin - use a short stiff brush and drag the resin onto the surface. This will wick into the voids and what you thought was smooth and void free will draw the resin in and when cured will look pitted and bare.

5. Only after step 4 is done (after paint you cannot go back!) finish sand with 180 grit. Wash with water and dry thoroughly. Wipe a thin film of PPG pinhole filler over the surface then prime with your favourite autobody primer/filler.

This process worked well for me on the parts I remanufactured in epoxy. (empennage, gearleg and intersection fairings)

Regards,
Doug Gray
http://bypass.dyndns-free.com/

Back