What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spraying JetFlex WB

Mark L

Today I got out my JetFlex WB with the intent of starting interior painting; that stuff is thick. I thinned w/ distilled water at 20%. However, the thick JetFlex will not flow well through my Binks Cub SL HVLP touchup gun. I have a 40T fluid tip for medium to heavy viscosity materials. I'm afraid to dilute any more because others have reported at tendency to run.

Wondering what painting equipment and setups (pressures and dilutions)others have used. I am willing to purchase another gun to get the job done right. What gun andtips (nozzles) have others used successfully?

Some have mentioned a 3M cup system.

Any other advice or tips would be appreciated.

Yes it is (goopey)

I had problems using my Harbor Freight detail hvlp gun (professional grade, of course) with a 1 mm tip. The 1.5 mm tip worked much better for me. It looks like thats roughly equivalent to the Binks T55?

Stick with it though. Its really forgiving paint to spray and its really tough when cured.

Jerald King
RV8 ordering wiring bits
Tucson

datasheet online

I've been using JetFlex WR for my interior parts. It is pretty thick, but I haven't had any problems shooting it with my cheap HF HVLP gun.

Here is a datasheet.
Looks like you can go up to 25% with water to thin for a smooth coat.

Sprayed some today

I sprayed some today. I was spraying small parts and thought I would save some paint by using one of the little Harbor Freight 5.3 oz cup HPLV guns. It would not spray thinned at 10% (how much I usually thin). Thinned it to maybe 20%. Still no joy. Swapped over to big 1.5 MM tip Harbor Freight and proceeded to run the paint thinned at 20%. The joys of painting :(
Alan Jackson
Hartselle, AL

JetFlex

I have used Jet Flex thinned as recommended on the can. Used the standard HF gun, the spotting gun and an air brush with excellent results. The paint will look lumpy at first but soon levels out to a nice smooth hard finish. Shoot a couple samples and don't rush it, let it work. Come back later, you'll be surprised how nice it looks.
Bob Whisler
RV-7A, FF

I used Jet Flex on my 8A. Mostly sprayed with my full size gravity gun. Either my finish gun with a 1.5 tip or my primer gun with a 2.4 tip. As for thinning, I go by feel. If I had to guess, maybe 20 to 30 percent. Looks like heck when you spray it but looks great the next day.

Mark,

I now have a fair amount of experience under my belt with JetFlex, having painted the interior of my plane with it over an extended period of time. I love this stuff. It's so easy to work with. Cleanup is a breeze. It's hard as a rock after it fully cures and it looks really good. Don't let the thick appearance of the material dissuade you from spraying it. It's designed to be sprayed, even though it looks too thick to do so.

I used a DevilBiss HVLP gun with a 1.4mm tip.

100_6722%20(Small).JPG

I also bought a set of DeKups, disposable paint cups to use with the sprayer. These are great because they collapse as the material is sprayed, so no air is exposed to the paint. I've actually left a partially used DeKup with paint in it on my shelf for several weeks at a time or even longer, and come back and used it again with great results. Very little piant is wasted this way.

100_6721%20(Small).JPG

I thinned the JefFlex with 10% distilled water. I would suggest starting with that dilution and see how it works with your equipment, and then thin up to 20% if necessary. There's no one specific recipe here that will work for all situations. It depends on what equipment you have, the air pressure, and other variables. But when you get it figured out for your equipment and methods, you'll get good results. Keep working until you get it right and let us know what worked for you.

Good luck!

Back