What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint pealing

Cth6

Well Known Member
Has anyone else seen this type of paint pealing and bubbling? Only on the four flaperon attachment points (wing side only). Any ideas why?

AF1QipPo6q8p3DV-slZE6m91mzzd76OBnv_8_5O7moJu

Last edited:
Usually I look for paint separation on preflight as an indicator something was over stressed. In this case given the location it might be that the surface prep didn't get into the corner causing the paint to Bond to the aluminum.

Not peeling - crinkling - like paint remover, or some other fluid with a property to soften, expand, and undermine adhesion. Was it primed? It is apparently not alodine prepared. Glycol based brake fluid would do that to enamel paints.

Years ago I had a detail shop use some magic mop-and-glo stuff on my car engine and after a few days it removed the paint from the valve covers just like this. Never found out what it was. Denial.

Last edited:
It was primed before paint, but don't know with what. The interior is only primed per Van's call out with the exception of the cabin area that was primed like the exterior.

This is an RV-12 that is listed for sale. This was one of the few issues called out in a pre-buy that a previous buyer had paid for this spring. He ended up purchasing a Zenith instead, because of the price point over the RV-12.

Each one of the four hinge points looks the same. I thought it may have been due to some fluid application gone bad, but the flaperon side on all four look fine. So that would mean if it was a product it was done during a period of time the flaperons were off. The current owner has said he doesn't know what caused this or when it happened.

No structural issue, but should be repaired as it will be a crevice zone for longer term corrosion. Minor if it is a nice plane.

Bill,

I painted my interior with rattle can auto primer grey and sprayed rattle can matte finish over it. I did experience a lot of wrinkling of the paint in one area where I did not give the primer enough time to completely dry. That might be what happened to you. The location in a tight corner like that makes it likely it was a prep issue.

Rich

its failing of the paint adhesion to the surface in some way, so either that part was primed with something different before assembly or it had something on it that wasn't cleaned off properly before painting or it was primed before assembly and then additional primer was added which didn't adhere to the surface properly

Thanks all for the thoughts. Waiting for it to get out of an A&P condition inspection to get some additional insight.

Back