What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque wrench calibration

lShadowl

Hi group,

Anyone know if my torque wrench needs to be calibrated with a certificate for the MD-RA inspector?

Thanks! :)

Have not had one ask me for such a thing with at least four builds under my belt using their services.

If you have forgotten atlist 1 time to unscrew the handle beyond ajustment and put it for storage dont use it until you check it !!!!!

You can use other known good one to check yours. If you have no one to check I alm in lachute

Last edited:
It's very easy to check the calibration. Put the square drive piece that goes into a socket in a vice. Rotate the handle until it's horizontal, to the right. Slowly add weights on top of the handle until it clicks. Torque applied will be the weight times the distance from the handle (where the weights were) to the center of the square drive piece. Compare to the torque setting.

I do the same in a vice but hang a light bucket mid-handle and add litres of water. A litre of water has a weight of 1 kilogram. Kilograms multiplied by metres gives Newton metres. They also line up with foot pounds.

Last edited:
what a great tip. Basic calculations that I never thought about applying in the shop.

It's very easy to check the calibration. Put the square drive piece that goes into a socket in a vice. Rotate the handle until it's horizontal, to the right. Slowly add weights on top of the handle until it clicks. Torque applied will be the weight times the distance from the handle (where the weights were) to the center of the square drive piece. Compare to the torque setting.

Back