What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

heatsleeve

I'm sure others will chime in but the general rule (mine, at least) is to fire sleeve all lines in engine compartment (except MAP).

If you're talking about the oil lines from the pump to the cooler and back, I didn't sleeve mine. Probably going to fall out of the air as a result though.:eek:

Because of the closeness of the exhaust to the cooler, and hoses, I'd sleeve them. It's pretty much SOP with us to sleeve FWF hoses.
Tom

so to go one step further do you sleeve a rubber hose with coolant in it? in a blowtorch type fire i am sure a little of the external layer of hose burns. is that significant. yea , i know i have bigger problems, just wondering what other's take on this is.

I have a Rotax 914 which has the turbo and muffler mounted under the engine. The concern is the oil return line which is only a inch or two from the muffler and one of the pipes. I use Teflon hose with stainless steel braid. Is fire sleeve the product to use or is Thermosleeve? Thermosleeve is very good at reducing radiant heat. I'm not sure what fire sleeve is designed to do. For a number of years I've used Thermosleeve since that is what Rotax has on coolant hoses. What have others done for this hose?

Jim Butcher

It was explained to me that another reason to use fire sleeve is leaks may become drips instead of sprays. Apparently a drip has far less danger attached to it than a spray. Also depends where the drip and spray are located.

so to go one step further do you sleeve a rubber hose with coolant in it? in a blowtorch type fire i am sure a little of the external layer of hose burns. is that significant. yea , i know i have bigger problems, just wondering what other's take on this is.

At high temperatures glycol will burn.

Seems to me, you should worry about 2 things:
1. Proximity to heat/exhaust
2. What's flowing in the hose

If the hose isn't close to the exhaust and what's flowing in it isn't worried too much about heat, then I don't see a reason to use fire sleeve. So fuel lines: certainly sleeve them. Oil and air (oil coolant, oil pressure, manifold pressure, crankcase ventilation, etc.): I'm not worried about them as long as they're not close to exhaust pipes.

Russ----in the case of RV12's with the water cooled Rotax engines, there is alot of plumbing in a small area, and near the muffler. Certainly the oil cooler hoses and fuel, but the water coolant hoses probably will be fine. Another note----those coolant hoses are pretty large, so firesleeving them will take some money out of the budget.
Tom

Back