What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SD20 won't fit

rvdave

Well Known Member
Just received my B&C 410H which I believe used to be sd20 but won't fit on my IO540 with the oil filter adaptor I have. Is there a simple resolution without having to redo oil filter?

2n01ts4.jpg

t70r50.jpg

20ia0zp.jpg

35l4vow.jpg

Not sure, they didn't mention that when we spoke. I have a spacer already, not sure if that is common to other engines? Also I don't know if the ofa is b&c or other? There's a number on it but will have to check.

Looks like it's ECI, this is a Mattituck engine, so probably ECI ofa also. Looks not compatible with b&c?

When you have the SD-20 (or newer 410) in combo with the B&C filter adapter you wind up with a spacer on both. Their oil filter adapter gets a 1.4" spacer to clear the engine mount and the SD-20/410 gets a .75" spacer and different shear coupling. It's pretty easy to change out the shear coupling and add the spacer yourself, just give them a call.

Second accessory pad

I'm not sure if it would work but my IO540 has another accessory pad on the aft, right bottom side of the accessory case. I think it was originally for a hydraulic pump and it looks to be the same size. Might be worth looking into.

I had that problem with the tach sender interfering with the backup alternator. The hydraulic pad won't work for the alternator. I've finally got a tach sender with cable that works. My oil fiter adapter was no problem because I got the Airwolf remote filter and that adapter just clears the alternator by 1/8" (put the alternator on first). I know you don't want to mess with your filter setup, but if the extension does not work then at least you have an alternative.
FP24072017A00025.jpg

Last edited:
When you have the SD-20 (or newer 410) in combo with the B&C filter adapter you wind up with a spacer on both. Their oil filter adapter gets a 1.4" spacer to clear the engine mount and the SD-20/410 gets a .75" spacer and different shear coupling. It's pretty easy to change out the shear coupling and add the spacer yourself, just give them a call.

Sounds like that's what I need, my engine came with a 2.5" ofa spacer so I do need to change both, confirmed and ordered thru b&c today.

Really?

I didn?t think that one would fit with the Airwolf filter. Dang, now I need to see if b and c will trade my 410 for the 462...

It's a tight fit. The filter adapter flange would not 'turn the corner' to get past the body of the alternator, so it had to be attached first. I also could not get the screw into the bottom right location on the adapter (the one not visible in the photo) and ended up just using studs all around.

Back