What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing overlap

SeanB

Well Known Member
Does anyone have knowledge of parking a 9A near a -7 or-8 in the same hangar? Can the outboard 3-4' of wings of the tail dragger remain under the outboard 3-4' portion of 9A wings if moving either aircraft?

Thanks.

Depends on the size of the hangar. I think ours is a 54' but dont hold me to it. My 7A has roomed with a 4 and a 6 at different times, I nose into one 'wing corner' of the hangar and the roomie goes tail first inro the other wing corner. No overlap and we can get out without moving the other craft. There is a 6A or 7A and an 8 down the row a little that will do the same when the 8 is finished.

The smaller hangars in the next row cannot do this. They require a high wing / low wing overlap. I think these are 48' but again my memory may be off.

Bill,

Thanks for the information. We already have a way to make it work. There are a set of stairs that makes it a little more complicated. Overlapping wings would have been too easy.

I would want to consider what happens if a tire goes flat if you overlap wings. Just a thought. I have a hangar with 3 low wing airplanes and it is always a challenge. And one of my renters has a left tire that has an issue and it is frequently flat. If the clearance was very small it could bite you.

Back