What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First attempt at Vinyl Wrapping

RGLives

After much sole searching, I decided to try my hand at vinyl wrapping my newly completed RV-12.Purchased just enough vinyl to do the Horizontal stab to see if I was up to it. Well after a few weeks, this is my plane now. Zero paint and and only added 23 lbs. This was a sometimes frustrating but fun job. Cost for materials - about $1300.

Wrap9x_zpssyavsfed.jpg

Looks great! I'd love to see some close-up pics. I guess that answers the "Yeah, but how does it do with the pulled rivets" question. How much work was it to get it stuck down over and around all the rivet heads? Lots, non-issue or somewhere in between?

That looks really nice! Like Dale mentioned, please let us know how hard it is to get the vinyl to stick to the rivets.

In my mind I resolved the rivet issue long ago, but what I want to see is the hard parts, inside rear vert stab and rudder for instance, the area between the flaperons and the wing, etc.. I too have a Viking 110 in my 12, you make at least three of us Honda powered with a N number ending in DG! Mine (for Don and Geneda), and Dick Gossen for his DG, and now yours. How odd is that?

Last edited:
Can you advise how much vinyl does it take to wrap a 12? What brand of vinyl and where did you purchase?I am getting close to doing mine is why I am interested.

Looks really nice. Did you paint the canopy and cowl fiberglass sections? Or are they paint + vinyl?

Also, did you puncture the vinyl on each rivet to allow air to escape and then "squeegee" press the vinyl to conform to the rivet, or use some other technique? When I recently had some larger vinyl sections applied to a couple of RV-12 wings and vstab, the installer (a professional) did something like that to get the air out and make sure it was fully adhered, using a small amount of heat.

Thanks for comments all.

Probably doubled the the time due to rivets. Best technique was to squeegee into both sides of a line of rivets leaving an "air channel" along the rivet line. Then hit 3 to 4 rivets in a row with a little heat and then rolling over them with a special foam roller. if air cant escape, it will leave a bubble over the rivet. tiny pinhole or two and press down on the rivet normally fixes it. there are several videos on line that address the techniques you need to know to Vinyl Wrap. I used 3M 1080 vinyl. Several places online you can order from.

If you are new to wrapping, research, research, research and take baby steps to get the techniques down.

Some answers to some other questions...

Wrapping the leading edge of the flapperons was not hard at all. You can get to that area easily when the wings are off.

I did wrap the canopy and cowling. The red on the lower cowling was a bear and I am not happy with it. Many compound curves. Will try it again sometime or paint it. One thing nice about Wrap is that you can peal it off if you don't like it.

This series of videos gives a great introduction to the process of wrapping. One thing to note is that the professional wrappers are extremely happy if they can do a wrap job that will last for 3 years. That short life sounds like an issue. It's possible that wrapping on an aircraft stored under cover might last much longer. Here's the first link, there are several more in this same series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU8f8pi06Hs

If this link expires the guy giving the demo has a website at The Wrap Institute. It's a pay for access site but he has some free demo videos.

There is a lot more info on the web, some good some not.

Good point on how long it will last. Time will tell but this is how I rationalized it... I will probably fly it in fair weather no more than 100 hours a year. That would be equivalent to about 5000 miles a year in a car. The rest of the time it will be sitting in a closed hanger. My guess is that UV rays and bad weather road wear and tear is factored in to the "3 years". I'm thinking 6 to 8 years? I don't know. Before then, I will probably want to wrap it again and give it a new look anyway:D

Good Job

Gary
Looks like a very good job to me

You may have given me a new thing to try

I used flush rivets this should make it a little easer

How did you handle the alligator skins under the wing

Thank you for your inspiration I hope I can do the job as good as yours

Joe Dallas

After much sole searching, I decided to try my hand at vinyl wrapping my newly completed RV-12.Purchased just enough vinyl to do the Horizontal stab to see if I was up to it. Well after a few weeks, this is my plane now. Zero paint and and only added 23 lbs. This was a sometimes frustrating but fun job. Cost for materials - about $1300.

Wrap9x_zpssyavsfed.jpg

Just wanted to check in to see of it is holding up. Any thoughts after 10 months? How transparent is the white film?

Hey CT - my vinyl is holding up well.

The colours have a metallic grey underside that blocks the any under surface colour bleed through. (The 3M product)

Back