What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitot/static why ¼" tube?

Bought my first batch from Stein

... before the house fire. Looking around at alternatives, came across the 1/8" OD tubing idea. Not available from Stein.

Maybe it's a non-issue with modern ADAHARS based avionics, but I'm not seeing any manifolds for 1/8" OD tubing at McMaster or MSC Direct. Using multiple T's or Y's to branch out, then?

Trying to figure out what I need to order here before the bottom wing skin goes on.

You could simply make a manifold for the bulkhead forward of the panel from one of these -

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/alummanifoldfit.php?clickkey=6557

Example here -

Clippard-In-Line-Manifolds.png

Maybe it's a non-issue with modern ADAHARS based avionics, but I'm not seeing any manifolds for 1/8" OD tubing at McMaster or MSC Direct. Using multiple T's or Y's to branch out, then?

Trying to figure out what I need to order here before the bottom wing skin goes on.

I need one "T" in each of the three lines and found that the plastic "T"'s used in irrigation dripper line fit nicely. All you need to couple the hose to the "T" is the appropriate size silicone hose (also from MSC).

I've been buying the fittings from truck and tractor. The 1/4" fittings are used for air on trucks in Australia. Not sure about the US. Ours is really low pressure just don't want any leaks.

I started this thread 2 1/2 years ago and asked if there were any good engineering reasons why 1/8" tube wouldn't work for pitot/static lines. Nothing convinced me it wouldn't work, so I installed it in my Panther. There were no issues with installation or operation.

1/8" Nylaflow tubing from ACS p/n 05-00105

Go to McMaster.com and do a search for push to connect tube fittings

Tony

Tony,

Had to go back and review the full thread because I had some recollection that I had commented previously.

Came across some 1/4" tubing at M-D, surplus Long Beach (40' for about what Fullerton Airparts charged per foot) and asked John Thorp what result. He said, all else being equal, the instrument would be more sensitive in it's response.

FWIW

Back