What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Who Went Flying Today? 1/1/2013

Geico266

Well Known Member
I like to be the first one to fly at our airport in the new year, but when it is 6F...... :rolleyes:

Weather was cold, but perfect. Sever clear, no wind, just a little light snow last night but the -12 can handle that! :D

I unlock the hangar door and push the button and the cable jumped out of the pullies and start pulling the motor down. The cable are now locked into the brackets and the door is OOC. Not the way I wanted the day to go. :mad:

Oh well, maybe this after noon, after the game!

Anyone else make it up today? Your Hobbs meter zeroed out last night. Time to get flyin!

Last edited:
Who went?

Made it out for another 1.1 of break-in on the new overhaul. Great to be back in the air!!!

Spent some time in the air in the -4. Windy and bumpy, but good to be up. Finished 2012 with a flight, and started 2013 with one. Happy New Year to y'all!

Did the Harris Ranch NYE gala again...

...so yes, flew late yesterday and early today. Bookended the year nicely.

Spent 1.0 over Tahoe looking at the fog in all the Nevada valleys to the east of here. Smooth as butter air, but pretty good winds aloft (up to 50 mph according to Mr. Dynon). Amazing that flying over Tahoe with 50 mph winds I tuned in the AWOS at S. Lake and they reported "calm." Warmer up top as well, which is why all the valleys were pretty much socked in this morning.

Thanks to Mike for the photo.

Greg

Last edited:
I ate at an airport restaurant with my parents today, but I drove there. Overcast at 200' and rainy, even driving was a challenge on the highway!

Flew 110 miles home from the coast, to beat a weather system moving in, early this morning, VFR over the top...beautiful flight.

Best,

I had a great flight this afternoon. It was cool (-13 deg C, or +9 deg F), but the plane ran like a scalded cat. It made all the work clearing the snow from the two big storms worthwhile.

I went for my traditional New Years Day local flight and my sweetie went along with me. Beautiful afternoon along the coast and Mosquito Lagoon. Shrimp boats off shore and quite a few New Years Day fisherman in the lagoon on this balmy mid-70's afternoon. Made a low pass down the shuttle landing strip after confirming that R-2934 was not active today. I wonder what the F-104 Starfighters are doing at KTTS? Anybody know the answer to that question? Another pass at a friends private strip and saw him working on his new hangar. Worked our way back to KEVB and we had the place to ourselves as we landed and taxied back to our hangar. Happy 2013 to all!

Made noise over our house and over Mark's house........

The turning, diving, pulling onto the run in at Mark's really hurt what was left of my head though..............

:eek::D

Made it out to the airplane for a .8 hr flight this afternoon. This morning was snow and IMC.

IMG_5937copy_zpsbc9e8c75.jpg

IMG_5939_zps2cdab311.jpg

Last edited:
This morning took my photographer friend, Gary on board and went out with a light sport. Gary did some great photos of the light sport over ocean, city, fields, and lake. I will only show one with my wing in it.

0acrNsS0daanHa_4qRpF11FVkw62aEtle4-MZkRgtu0.jpg

Flying on New Year's Day is an old tradition for me. A couple days ago I snagged a back-seat ride in an RV-4, which was a treat since I'm building an RV-3B (and haven't even seen one of those yet).

Today I went up all by myself in Big Hammer, my Cessna 180, which I've had for 26 1/2 years now. Big Hammer is 58 this year and except for needing a paint job, you'd never know it. He was eager to fly in the cold air.

We popped up to 7,800 from our field elevation of 5,050, and I set the power for max cruise. I don't normally pull that much power or burn that much fuel but it's worth doing once in a while. We weren't taking data, just flyin' around.

I slowed down to do some slow flight and a bit of airwork and some stalls. Folks, it was smooth today! Fun.

Then back for a few take-offs and landings. When we were back at the hangar we were both smiling. 1.2 hours and what a great way to start the year!

Dave

Beautiful, but cold, NW day. I had not flown since just before my foot surgery three weeks ago. It's my left foot, if it was my right it would have been a no go. A bit of pain holding brakes for run-up, but with calm winds and no chance for a cross wind today, my left foot didn't take a lot of pressure. I usually fly a few times a week and I just couldn't take it anymore. Had to go and get my New Years flight in.

Tradition

Yes! It is a wonderful tradition. My own tradition started in a unique way. On New Year's Eve 1999, a friend asked me to take him to Texas A&M to pick up his daughter. We both had to work so we didn't away until late night. Returning home in the dark over Waco when the clock changed to 2000. I turned to my friend and said, "isn't this when everything with a computer is supposed to break?" ....as I looked at my computer driven Garmin equipment. You know now of course that nothing happened but it did begin a annual tradition...certainly more enjoyable than eating black-eyed peas!

Okay, I'm gonna give myself the "Persistence Award" for New Years Day flying. This morning (see first post) my hangar door was broken so after Nebraska got whipped by Georgia I certainly had ever reason to stay at home and drink heavily, but I didn't! :D. I went back out to the hangar, fixed the door, scooped 6" of slush out in front of the door and went flying for .5.

A great way to start a new year, unless you are a Husker fan. :mad:

;)

We had a beautiful flight from Vero Beach to the restaurant at Okechobee airport for breakfast this morning. Served on their outside patio. Temps in the low 70s. Nice.

We had a beautiful flight from Vero Beach to the restaurant at Okechobee airport for breakfast this morning. Served on their outside patio. Temps in the low 70s. Nice.

Dear Steve, :mad:

You suck. :D

Respectfully,
Geico.

;)

Finally got out for about a half hour of quality aerobatics in Tsam in the late afternoon - always good to free one's self from the earth on a routine basis! :)

Happy new years

Pleased to report I took the wife on her first xc today, also her first flight in the rv, also her first roll. She loved it. I am so amazed at the wealth of knowledge, friendly good people I encounter on this site. It was I dare say, the largest factor in my decision to get an rv. Of course now that I have 10 hours in mine I also know its the best plane out there. All I can say is thank you to everyone and I will be making my donation at this time. Happy new year!
image_zpsc8310812.jpg

Last edited:
Great RV Fly-in today at Lake Havasu KHII. Thanks to Katie from AZ and Rosie from the SoCal RV list for organizing.

I think about 46 RVs checked in.

I've uploaded a compressed video of my arrival. See the line up of RVs as I taxied in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5N7GhCYZQ0&feature=youtu.be

Mark, I had no idea otherwise we'd have come from KFFZ, how/where did you learn of this event?

Wife and I found a little gem today at E95 (Southwestern Aviation @ Benson) on our way to Kartchner Caverns tour, bit bumpy but any flying day is a great flying day :)

Well, I got to fly, but not my RV; does a 737-800 count? Houston to SFO so far, now sitting here having some airport appreciation time, then one more leg to Las Vegas. Not as fun as the RV-8, but coffee and lunch from the forward galley ain't too bad. Ya think the pax would mind an aileron roll on the arrival into LAS??

Havasu fly-in!!!!

....We had a great turnout this year with lots of beautiful airplanes and great people. Here are a few photos I took with my phone....:D:D
IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Last edited:
Lake Havasu City lunch

It was on the SoCal RV Yahoo list. I never checked whether it was on VAF as well; presumably not. You can join in here.

There is also an AZ-RVlist on yahoo and the event was announced on both groups. Katie and Rosie did the planning. I know Katie did a lot of planning and those of us in SoCAL just went along.

We have been trying to get Paul and Louise to go when they are at Big Bear but they were not on the Left Coast this year.

46-RVs is the number that was reported. That does not count the Grumman, Cessna, and Lancair that also flew in. The farthest RV came from KABQ to join in.

Rosie can add more of the details when he checks in today.

Last edited:
Flew from Angel Fire, NM back to Junction City, KS. Took off with light snow, had a nice clear flight all the way back. Second trip to Angel Fire in the last week. Got two cracks in my canopy in the cold, but other than that, awesome trips!

Took N486JT around the pattern 3 times at 180 knots to warm the oil up to drain and install the Raven inverted system!
So it looks like my old 8 and my new 8 both flew today!

I flew about 30 minutes under the 2500 ft overcast we had near Ft Worth most of the day. I didn't like my first landing so taxied back and di another circuit paying better attention to altitute, power settings and air speeds. Good start to 2013.

Plane down, starting maintenance

Wish I flew on 1/1/13 but with rainy cool weather VFR seemed unlikely and with a day off, it's time to start the carb overhaul process. Also going to replace main tires and tubes. Methodically removing carb fasteners, taking many pictures, and writing step-by-step notes to increase the odds of successful re-assembly!

8e3e921cb26ecb67899ab9d319101fdf.jpg

Also had good times with family today. :) Can't live life just for burning 100LL.

Happy New Year!

Big, safe orbits

First flights on an engine rebuilt some 10 years ago, so my 1.2 hours orbited over the field.
Great when I took off, but it got bumpy enough that I got some crosswind practice on landing, and didn't choose to take it up again in the afternoon....

the rv got a rest on the 1st. both fling wings got in the air yesterday. now its off to sebring to see the guys. will be 81 today.

where is the vman these days. cheers!

img1314no.jpg

WN-55 launched 2 RVs, our T-18 and a piper ragwing. If you look at Stephen's Seattle picture, you can see Mt Rainier in the background.
WN-55 is just beyond that. Cold Clear & Smooth.
Happy New Year with smooth sailing and tailwinds to all.

Temperature on the ground at about 3 PM January 1, 2013 was 39F and at 5,000 over Independence (7S5) it was 49F. Nice day and beautiful flight.

I DID

from Toussus le Noble (LFPN) to Chartres LFOR (The cathedral) Go and back
with My daughter.

Nice weather, nice light....

The Log for 2013 is open

Flew DME ARC to ILS 28 at MGM and then picked up passenger, flew from MGM to FTY and did the ILS to minimums

No pics as a result of the poor weather, but glad to see the new panel/avionics payingi off!

We really needed a day like News Years Day around here. Fantastic flying weather!

I flew with a couple friends (in the Rocket and Swift) to the Diamond Point Airstrip in Sequim.

flight1.jpg

flight3.jpg

flight2.jpg

Bahamas for me:)

Did the first leg of my World Record cross country yesterday. So yea, I flew the first. Took off from Freeport (MYGF) early, cleared customs at St. Lucie (KFPR) then made a beeline to Nebraska. The setting sun caught me so Beatrice is where I camped. Made it back to Calgary today.

I love flying but this was too much. 31 hours, round trip, in 6 days. I'm done for the year ! :) .....talk to me next week....I'll probably be flying:). Video to come.

Darren.

Did the first leg of my World Record cross country yesterday. So yea, I flew the first. Took off from Freeport (MYGF) early, cleared customs at St. Lucie (KFPR) then made a beeline to Nebraska. The setting sun caught me so Beatrice is where I camped. Made it back to Calgary today.

I love flying but this was too much. 31 hours, round trip, in 6 days. I'm done for the year ! :) .....talk to me next week....I'll probably be flying:). Video to come.

Darren.

You stopped 15 miles from my house! :eek:

Flew to Nappanee, IN Hangar-over Flyin Lunch

Temps were 23 degrees with clear sky. Nice lunch and friendly EAA Chapter.

Back