What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ignition coils under plenum

Larry Parham

Well Known Member
My Lightspeed coils are under the plenum and I am questioning the location.
Seems like out from under the plenum would be a better location. My RV 9A has 600 hours.

Are you worried about heat? If so consider that some airplanes (including the Rocket) use plenum air for cabin ventilation.

Lightspeed coils don't do good in high heat. I've had to replace some from heat. Might ask Klaus about that.

My LSEI ignition coils are under the plenum and have been since first start. It has never been a problem, likely because the SJ intakes and plenum are so efficient at ducting cooling air. (in winter months, I often must run ROP to get my CHT's above 300F)

Hard to say - data anyone?

Which is higher temp when flying - definitely the lower cowl.
Which is higher temp just after flying? Hard to say, but likely both are close. But you won't have the internal heating of the coil after shutdown, so maybe a wash.

A radiation shield might be in order if the coils are under the cowl, though. I don't think foil wrap would be good for cooling , just a shield so the coils can not "see" the heads/upper barrel. Since the tips of the fins are the coolest, that might not do anything but, being close to the 250F case might be the largest source. Yes, I have convinced myself - shield from the case.

Conclusion: A little thermocouple data would be worth . . . well, a lot. Don't vendors test and provide a recommendation? :eek:

Edit: Lightspeed says either -- so it must be a wash.

Last edited:
Back