What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Question of the day....

The nut on the alternator pulley, and possibly the studs on any automotive electrical components you may have chosen to use.

In my other thread, what to take to the Hangar?, someone said take ALL your tools....well, I did not bring my Metric Allen head sockets for the.................

Wow, I almost went out to the garage to check that nose wheel Allen, but my plane is gone now.....got to get use to that, isn't that one a 3/8? anyway, I was at the hangar this morning and have everything rigged except for the........Flaps, the ball stud on the flaps, I need to remove those to connect the flaps to the rod.

Spark plug threads.
SkyTec starter (all the hardware holding it together + solenoid terminal studs).

Is this a test ?

- -how about the M3 screw on the bottom of the GA26 garmin GPS puck? It could still be a phillips though. Just had to chase down one yesterday, but sadly used a hex socket head - thinking that was a bad idea and will change to phillips.

Do I win?

Other than that, maybe the alternator B nut , or the starter solenoid jumper. Probably 10mm, IIRC

Could be any number of them, depending on what you install beyond the kit parts from Van's.

E.g., all the hardware on an Andair fuel pump is metric, sans the AN fittings for the fuel lines.

Could be quite a list, although as noted, probably the most important are the ones on engine parts such as the starter, etc.

So I guess this means I shouldn't be using an 11mm wrench on the AN4 bolts? I've never had it not fit and it's 0.004" smaller than the 7/16" that it's supposed to be. I had no idea until I looked it up after seeing this thread.

Well I thought I was doing just fine doing the final assemble with the wings and all, until I needed to undo the ball stud on the flaps, Metric Allen.

So I guess this means I shouldn't be using an 11mm wrench on the AN4 bolts? I've never had it not fit and it's 0.004" smaller than the 7/16" that it's supposed to be. I had no idea until I looked it up after seeing this thread.
8mm - 5/16
11mm - 7/16
13mm - 1/2
15mm - 19/32
17mm - 11/16
19mm - 3/4

10, 12, 16, 18 - even numbers -odd fit - go fish.

14mm - 9/16 - but poor fit

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" George Johnston - 1968

Metric hardware on airplane...

Any automotive or motorcycle accessory that was used most likely will be metric. New modern starters and alternators will be metric. It is possible that you will find metric hardware on the battery and maybe linear actuators. If it was intended to be used on a car, truck, or motorcycle that was built in the last 20-years there is a good chance that it is metric.

I have a complete set of tools in my hangar as I also work on a car / truck there on as needed basis. IF I did not also have tools for a car / truck and needed metric wrench, I would first try the tool bag in my ground transportation then head to the farm supply store across the road or big box home store and buy what is needed to stay in the hangar tool box for next time.

I have one drawer in one toolbox that has custom made or special tools for the airplane.

Some work, but using 13mm for 1/2 is asking for trouble.

Naaaahhhh never, ever had one slip or damage a fastener. The reference is for a pinch, proper tools for the job is better in the long run, but there are times . . . when you just have to get the job done.

Besides, it's not like sanding fiberglass with short sleeves. :eek:

Back