Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-11-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick972 View Post
Hey everyone, Iím new to the forum and looking to purchase my first RV. Currently my little Aeronca Champ is all l know and am looking to move up to something more capable. After a long cross country in my friends RV7 l was hooked, but a little apprehensive about the speed at landing so maybe the 9 is a better fit. .
don't let your current flying experience determine what you buy/build. With good transition training you can fly a -6 or -7. It just takes a bit of training to learn how to manage the speed and stay ahead of the airplane. They are very honest airplanes and lots of low time guys have learned to fly them. The key is to get a good instructor.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:03 PM

As the others have said, the -9 doesn't really fly much differently than the other RV's.

However, the -9 is probably the best "balanced" of all the RV's.

As far as tail draggers go, it is simply the easiest tail dragger I have ever flown. I went from a 65 hp T-Craft right to my -9 and was stunned at how easy was to fly in comparison.

You will have no issues moving up to an RV, any RV.

I fly formation with my neighbor in his 65 hp Champ from time to time and the -9 can easily hang in there with him.

We will fly formation to a local Class Delta airport (KGMU) where we have lunch and fly home together with me doing all the radio work.

You are probably going to have to build a -9 tail dragger because there just aren't many built that way.

Good luck making a decision.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 12-11-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:13 PM

If you end up with a -9A (nosewheel) plane, just be very, very careful to NEVER land on the nosewheel!!! So many people transitioning from Pipers and Cessnas have a tendency to do this. You can get away with it in those production planes. You will not in an RV.

Houston
Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 PM

Default You'll like any RV, including the 9

A while back I bloviated at some length about transitioning to the RV-9A. On the off chance that would be useful for you, here's a link:

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=146300

I continue to be thrilled to own an RV-9A. It just gets so many things right. With that said, I suspect you'd be just as happy with a good -7 or -6.

Good luck!
2017 Dues Paid