What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Type of Grease Gun?

dan

Well Known Member
I'm looking to replace my old crapola Harbor Freight grease guns with something that works reliably, even when they sit on the shelf for a few months at a time.

Any suggestions for something that won't break the bank?

I think I'd prefer hand vs. pneumatic, but I could be talked into either way with enough convincing...

Curious what y'all use and have had good luck with. PS...if you've had it less than 3 years I don't even want to hear about it. :)

I prefer the one handed gun, with a flex line to the zerk connector. This allows you to hold the connector on the fitting, and still squeeze the trigger with the other hand.

414-4kF-rzL._SS500_.jpg

ref=dp_image_0

Last edited:
Grease Gun

Dan -

Every grease gun I've ever owned has left a puddle. I had this discussion with my hangar-mate a few weeks ago. He owns a heavy-diesel repair shop, and has lots of practical experience with grease storage & dispensing.
He suggested that my problem was more closely related to the quality of the grease than the gun.

Visit your favorite auto parts purveyor and pick a mid-priced gun. Fill it with mid-to premium-priced grease or the indicated aviation product and store it horizontally - the closer to room temperature (75-ish) the better.

I've taken my assortment off the peg-board and started storing them in stainless tubs common to the steam table at your favorite Chinese buffet.

My cheapy gun has a large tube of aeroshell 22 in it. It leaks. I tied a shop towel around the top and keep it in an empty kitty litter bucket, problem solved ;)

Leaks...or melts?

I actually think that the reason they leak (at least down here in Houston) is that the oil just melts it's way out of the grease, and then you get the puddle. I've bought a couple of medium-priced guns over the years - just bought a pneumatic to see if it is any more reliable. I am convinced though that if it sits more than a couple months in this environment, the grease has little oil left in it, and it just doesn't feed. When I put in a fresh cartridge, I try to grease everything I can find, because the tube will probably be bad the next time I want it...

Paul

Grease gun

Hi All,
I suggest a Lincoln brand gun. I am an auto mechanic of 37 years, and it's the only one I have found that really works. I have probably pumped a hundred cases of tube lube through mine. Make sure you get the one handed model, and add a flex hose to the rig. Takes 3 hands to work the ones with the long lever.
Bought my last one from the Mac Tools dealer.

Regards,
Chris

Northern Tools list them.

Hi All,
I suggest a Lincoln brand gun. I am an auto mechanic of 37 years, and it's the only one I have found that really works. I have probably pumped a hundred cases of tube lube through mine. Make sure you get the one handed model, and add a flex hose to the rig. Takes 3 hands to work the ones with the long lever.
Bought my last one from the Mac Tools dealer.

Regards,
Chris

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...epts&cm_pla=Google&cm_ite=lincoln+grease+guns

Lincoln Pistol-Grip Grease Gun, Model# 1134

Features cast head and jam-proof handle. 3-way loading.
Includes whip hose and 4in. rigid tube with coupler.
Rating Summary (5 reviews)
5 of 5 would recommend this product to a friend.
Item# 403899
Only $44.99

FWIW......I always bought the bargain brand grease guns and never like the
performance, So I was glad to hear Chris say there are better brands available, not sure why I never figured that out myself.
As for the leaking out part.....I read in an article somewhere, the oil that
leaks out is actually the good part of the grease leaving the gun and the part that stays the the thickener or carrier, not as good as original right from the tube. So it is best to put in a new tube and grease up everything around. Hopefully a better quality gun will help this situation. Thanks Chris.

... the oil that leaks out is actually the good part of the grease leaving the gun and the part that stays the the thickener or carrier, not as good as original right from the tube.

I've actually wondered about that myself. But if the oily stuff can leak out from inside the gun, what's to keep it from leaking out once the grease is packed into a bearing?

I've actually wondered about that myself. But if the oily stuff can leak out from inside the gun, what's to keep it from leaking out once the grease is packed into a bearing?

(First post!)

It's like any emulsion. If left to sit, over time the parts separate (e.g. a bottle of ketchup or mustard where the vinegar separates out). But mix it back together and its ok. When packed in the bearing, the motion keeps the grease mixed. If the bearing is left sitting for long enough, it will demulsify and will need to be repacked.

I store my assortment of grease guns in the hanger frig. It helps in keeping the mess to a minium. Larry

Grease gun storage

Ditto on storing the grease gun in the hanger frig. I've done this for years. The grease does not "melt", and there is no ugly pudding of oil. You must remember to take the gun out of the frig, and let it warm prior to use.

I've had pretty good luck with NAPA BRAND (not sure who makes it) Wheel and bearing grease. Name may not be quite right. It seems to be a little thicker.
I'll admit I don't know a lot about grease but this stuff seems to work good in any trailer bearings I've packed and last, so I figured it is good for about everything I grease.
I also haven't had a lot of problems with oil running out of my cheap walmart gun, but I hang them up... ?? may help.

I've had pretty good luck with NAPA BRAND (not sure who makes it) Wheel and bearing grease. Name may not be quite right. It seems to be a little thicker.
I'll admit I don't know a lot about grease but this stuff seems to work good in any trailer bearings I've packed and last, so I figured it is good for about everything I grease.
I also haven't had a lot of problems with oil running out of my cheap walmart gun, but I hang them up... ?? may help.
My understanding was that automotive greases aren't designed for the extreme COLD temps that we encounter in flight. Don't want my wheel bearings frozen on touchdown or my various "stuff" getting chunky in flight. I'll stick with AeroShell! (FWIW, I did compare the specs years ago when I first learned this.)

Thanks everybody for your input. The air lock issue was the biggest PITA I've faced so far with cheap grease guns. The separation & puddle are somewhat expected. I'll give the Lincoln pistol grip a shot.

Dan,
Thanks for the info. Didn't think about the cold while in the air. I'm still new at the aviation thing and am learning new things all the time.

Back