What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stratux to be used only for GPS & AHRS ?

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
Can I build a Stratux with just the GPS and AHRS?

I don't need ADS-B IN so I'd like to keep it as simple as possible without those long external antennas or anything else not needed and as a secondary advantage keep the power consumption to a minimum. I was looking at one of those complete kits and not install what I don't need but why spend the money on parts I'm not going to use or have receivers sucking up power and creating heat.

My goal would be to install the Stratus box permanently behind the avionics panel and a remote GPS antenna on the glareshield and just supply the GPS and AHRS info to my wifi-only iPad to use WingX to get synthetic vision and location.

Last edited:
I just tried it on my Stratux running v1.5b2 and it works just fine with no SDR installed. Synthetic vision tested with iFly software.

Awesome thanks. Now to go figure out what I need and where to buy it. Do you know if a kind of like ?Stratux for Dummies? type page or website exists?

Just go to stratux.me

Very good site and I figured out what I need to order but then the only thing not available is the SD card with the Stratux program and it says on Amazon they don't know when it'll be available. In your experience, if I order everything else, when do you think Amazon would have it again? Is running out of cards something that occurs frequently?

You can write your own SD card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJmMdIvb8zE

Very good site and I figured out what I need to order but then the only thing not available is the SD card with the Stratux program and it says on Amazon they don't know when it'll be available. In your experience, if I order everything else, when do you think Amazon would have it again? Is running out of cards something that occurs frequently?

Note that the AHRS update rate won't keep up with the RV's roll rate. I have a Hudly that displays the Stratux HUD and one roll and it's tumbled just like a mechanical gyro. It will reset itself, but may take a minute or two. That said, for gentle flying around, it seems to do quite well.

I'm hoping the new Raspberry Pi model 4, with it's faster processor, will be able to process updates faster and keep it smoother... I'm waiting now for Raspberry to fix the USB-C power issue that people have found, once that's done i'll be ordering one for experimentation.

I just ordered all parts and will have them on Monday to start testing. I have an 8gb SD Card I'll use. Thanks.

Last edited:
So it arrived and I assembled it. Flashed the SD card and connected it to the laptop and everything works.

Then I connect to WingX and both ADS-B IN and GPS works fine but AHRS is not working. It works on the Stratux page but not in WingX. A quick google search tells me the latest Stratux image is not currently compatible but 1.4r5 is working.

I go to github and download the 1.4r5 zip but when I open it I get a folder full of files and not a .IMG file. Also the 1.5bs IMG file is 1.99 GB but 1.4r5 is only 15.9 MB ! HUH ?

Anyone have a link where I can get 1.4r5 or if you have it upload 1.4r5 to google docs or anywhere that I can get it to test WingX?

Back