What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data Plate Engraving

Frankster13

Does anyone know where I can get engraving done for my aircraft data plate? All local engraving locations are closed. I would like to find a place I can send it into and have it done and mailed back. Any help appreciated. I am in Northern California SF Bay area Livermore LVK

I used Advanced Graphic Engraving. It is laser etched in bold black, not scratched into the stainless which is hard to see.

Be sure to be specific as to the wording. Only the builder, the model, and the serial number is required, but these items must match the registration exactly.

i.e. If the registration lists the builder as JONES JOHN J, do not put JOHN J JONES on the data plate.

And no punctuation. The Registry does not use periods after initials. So it should not be JONES JOHN J. but JONES JOHN J instead. We had to re-apply for a new Special Airworthiness Certificate on a Pitts because of a period after the builder's middle initial on the first Airworthiness Certificate.

It sure would be nice if a post had a like button! Mel chimes in a lot with Great info and I would be clicking like. Mike

I was about ready for inspection so in a rush. Went to Walmart and bought an engraving pen. Printed info on paper printed off of my computer and stuck it to the plate and used it for a guide. I practiced several times on a scrap piece of aluminum. It worked surprisingly well and looks pretty good. Was going to replace it later with a professionally engraved one but guess what? I haven't looked at it or thought about it since! Been to Kosh 4 times and nobody has told me it didn't look good because nobody has crawled under there to look at it!

Back