What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools required for -12iS for previous RV builder

llavalle

Well Known Member
So I sold my RV-9A kit a couple of years ago but kept all of the tools. Was basically the Avery RV toolkit + a few addons : reamers, bigger back riveting plate, Cleaveland Main Squeeze, 3 yokes.

-12iS emp kit is being prepared @ Vans as I type this (order sent on Dec 31st) and I'm prepping the shop for its arrival.

Bought a rivet puller (went with the Milwaukee battery powered one) and now wondering if my current toolkit is enough.

I assume :
-I won't need the rivet gun & bucking bars
-I won't need my DRDT-2

So - for any builder who did a -7/8/9/10 before doing a -12... did you need to buy anything else beside the rivet puller?

Thanks

I had to buy a 120 degree #30 countersink. I didn't have that from previous kits.

Ok, I'll double check the tool list they have with my inventory then. Was trying to avoid this ;)

I use this close quarter rivet pulling wedge all the time on my -12, but it wasn?t necessary (or available) when I built my 9A. In the instructions, Van's tells you how to make a similar tool from AEX wedge, so this tool isn't 100% necessary, but I've found it very nice to have.

http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Close-Quarter-Rivet-Pulling-Wedge/productinfo/5012/#.XET3XS3MxE4

Ok, that's for pulling the stem at a angle while still having a flat head? Skimming the preview plans, it looks like it's the first thing they have you do! Good to know - this thing looks better :D

A big magnet on a stick to pick up all of those errant pop rivet mandrels rolling around on the floor. :D

A big magnet on a stick to pick up all of those errant pop rivet mandrels rolling around on the floor. :D

lol :)

But seriously, just started comparing toolkits.. and vans states in the RV-12 plan that we need 350 1/8in clecos... !!! didn't realize those weren't 3/32 almost everywhere like my -9A!

Looks like an inventory is in order!

Ok, that's for pulling the stem at a angle while still having a flat head? Skimming the preview plans, it looks like it's the first thing they have you do! Good to know - this thing looks better :D

Yes, it's for pulling the stem at an angle. I bought this tool before my -12 emp kit arrived, so I've never used the tool made from AEX wedge. Perhaps someone else can tell you which one works better.

Alright so I did the inventory. Here's what Vans lists that I didn't have in my Avery kit - in case anyone needs it :

-1 Extra short flush head rivet set (1/8in thick). I had one, they say you need 2
-Couple of drill bits : #3,#11,#16,#20,#43,#36,#52,1/4in,5/16in,Q or 11/32in, 3/8in
-120deg machine countersink with #30 pilot hole as stated above <--for some reasons I had bought it separately, not sure why, it was still new with wax on it
-Bunch of taps (won't list them - I had a tap set with most of them)
-#30 (copper) clecos --> Vans lists 350 of them, had 100 of them

Everything else I had.

Last edited:
My list

I've built an -8 and -3B before and my list of things important for the -12iS are:
  • The Avery or Cleaveland close-quarter rivet guide mentioned above
  • A good pneumatic or electric puller as mentioned above (I have both but really like the Milwaukee electric puller!)
  • A pneumatic squeezer
  • 120° 1/8 dimple dies (I plan to use c/s rivets in a few places such as the wing leading edge.

I'm working on my build site and should have it up in another week or two and have a page just for tools where I'll comment on these items.

Alright so I did the inventory. Here's what Vans lists that I didn't have in my Avery kit - in case anyone needs it :

-120deg machine countersink with #30 pilot hole

So this is this the only "special," i.e. 120 degree, countersink that is required? Want to make sure before I order.

120? 1/8 dimple dies (I plan to use c/s rivets in a few places such as the wing leading edge.

Why 120 degrees? I have a 1/8th dimple die, but it is for AN426 so I assume it's 100 degrees, right?

The flush pull rivet Van supplies is 120 degree. CS4-4

Ok, thanks.

So this die set, or are the Avex rivets different in some way, like head diameter?

https://aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=AE14877

"120 degree dimple die set is 1/8? diameter and is specifically made for Avex Rivets."

AE14877.jpg

Back