What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Mirrors

Terry Lutz

Well Known Member
Sponsor
One of my mirrors was broken, so I went to the aviation department at Auto Zone to see what they had. I found a set of two small blind spot mirrors that have a ball and socket adjustment with a good range of motion. Bought some double stick tape and mounted them to the bow on the canopy. They work great! I can adjust them to easily see my wingman when he's in the slot, or adjust them to see the passenger. They have enough friction in the ball and socket that they are not affected by vibration or g. The brand name is Pilot (!), and the model number is MI-417. Here is a link to the Auto Zone website, if you want to take a look: https://www.autozone.com/safety-and...r/pilot-2-pcs-multi-purpose-mirror/302980_0_0

How are they supposed to be mounted to cars? What is the nominal mounting method?

I see examples on the web page of mounting it on a side view mirror and below the rear view mirror. So I'm curious as to the mounting mechanism they come with which allows both.

Actually, it has a very clever mounting system for cars. They come with a thin piece of metal that has slots cut in it so you can bend the metal between the slots and form almost any mounting possibility. But curiously, the 3M material they sent is sticky only on one side.

I used the same mirror with a clip on mount from the company below. You can use it as is or you can hang it in a glass bottle with some acetone in the bottom for 25 minutes to smooth out the 3d printing layers. I then used high build primer and a flat black paint. They turned out very nice.

https://www.rvplasticparts.com/

...so I went to the aviation department at Auto Zone to see what they had...[/url]

Thanks for the report Terry, I have these mirrors myself. Mirrors make the flight control check and trim tab position confirmation a snap even with shoulder harnesses nice and snug. These particular ones will stay in position well and are easily re-positioned depending on what you want to look at (passenger or flight controls or whatever) :)

Back