What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 7/7A project!

Another rv7 takes to the sky! Three years in the making.
2yxrq88.jpg
[/IMG]

Last Skin Riveted

Well last night I figured out that those access panels I installed in the top skin have other uses too. To let heat and swear words out while bucking.

"Oww my back, I can't get my other arm, dam, %^$, who put all this *&^& under here!!! Get me another pillow, what's poking my back, ^&%#, a cramp, my arm is stuck. &*^ #@$%%#!!!!!!":eek:

Thank you Vans for saving that skin for last so I didn't quit a long time ago.:D

frontskin.jpg

Last edited:
Nice work, Jeff!

Jeff,

That's BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations! I'm busy fitting that skin right now for the first clecoing and drilling. I'm sure it will be a while, probably a long while, before I can rivet it on. Can't wait to get to that point!

So I was going to wait until I had the elevators done to show off my whole empennage, but I took some video last night of my drilled trim tab.

Here are the VIDEOS!

Here's the still:

20100628-029-medium.jpg

No longer a project!!

7/6/2010-Airworthiness Inspection Day

I got out to the hangar at about 0930 this morning to get things tidied up around the hangar for the DAR. I didn't know exactly what time she was gonna make it to the hangar, but at about 1000 she called to tell me she was leaving the office in Springfield, and would be in Bloomington at about 1130. She had one short appointment before me at Image Air, so we decided to meet for lunch at the airport restaurant to go over the paperwork. Lunch and the paperwork ran about two hours, but all was in order with the exception of me forgetting the second page of the Repairman's Certificate application. Not a big deal, I'll just fax it to her, but I'll have to drive down to the FSDO office next week to provide my build log.

After lunch we headed over to the hangar where she proceeded to go over the airplane with an inspection mirror and flashlight. She was pleased with what she saw, and only had two items for me to correct. I had one bolt on the carb saftied incorrectly, and I need to write the date on the oil filter. When she was done inspecting it, she had me push the airplane out to run it. Just a quick run was enough for her to give the thumbs up. I got out, and she asked if I was ready to sign the papers. Heck yeah!!

I present...N755CB in a condition for safe flight..AIRWORTHY!!

7-6-10-001w.jpg

Wings came out of the stands this weekend and are now in the cradles, 2 more weeks and I suspect these will be finished. Then its off to OSHKOSH!!!!!

IMG_8469.jpg

congrats chad!

as you have read on facebook, we had the equivalent inspection over here today... :) unfortunately they don't hand us a "pink slip" over here, so we have to wait for just another few days...
but as in your case, we sailed through with very little fuss...

kind regards,
bernie

Congrats Chad

Hi Chad

Well done.....my C of A inspection is happening this weekend.....have been following your build closely. Great job.

Look forward to hearing of your first flight.

Best of luck from Down Under

Regards

JON

just touching 2,000 hours... getting very close

there was a time i thought that first flight might be around 1,600 hours... ha... then i thought 1,800 hours... ha... i have now logged 2,000 hours; first flight is getting very near.

img5419w.jpg

VH-JWC First Flight

vhjwc.jpg

Three and a half years of building resulted in the first flight of my RV-7 on Saturday 17th July at 2.15pm.

Pete James was my trusted Test Pilot and all went perfectly as hoped. I was in the back of Ken Browns RV-8 flying chase and yes I am still smiling!

Thanks to Mick Haynes (guru mentor), Pete James, Ken Brown, Graham Beggs, Rod Thynne, Darren Barnfield, Hugh Satchell and the many others who provided ongoing advice and support throughout my project.

Particular thanks go out to my wife Elisa and my two boys (Hugo and Cooper). My passion for aircraft building has meant a lot of absence over the past three and a half years and I am looking forward to getting my "other" life back as much as i am looking forward to taking them flying.

Thanks of course to Doug Reeves and all on VAF. This site has been my primary resource for information throughout my build and I can't imagine building an RV without it. The ongoing generosity of so many people who contribute such detailed and considered advice (often professional) never ceases to amaze me.

A large part of my RV grin has come from sharing the journey with you all.

Thanks

JON.

Dead Straight

Congratulations Jon,
Beautiful aircraft. I flies straight and true and proved to be faultless;
Well, except for the wrenched woman screaming "ANGLE, ANGLE" every time I reduced below 75kts.

Thank you for trusting me with your baby.

Pete.

Congratulation

Well done Jon the paint scheme on you aircraft looks amazing.Hopefully i should be at your stage in the next couple of months with my 7a :)

I finished trimming the aft edge of the canopy. I am happy with the results.
Inspection is scheduled for August 28 with Vic Syracuse. Transition training Thursday with Jan Bussell.
FP18072010A0003I.jpg

Looking good Alton. I'm a little ways behind, but hope to start final assembly next month.

I needed to clean the shop tonight, so shoved her outside to enjoy the beautiful evening.
RV-7build732.jpg

Last of the big jobs!

Wings on at last !

This is a job I decided to leave towards the end of the build. My farmer neighbour very kindly suggested the use of one of his barns as long the rigging was finished before the start of harvest so I had to take advantage of his offer. The wing connection went very well (too well really) and at last it looked like a fully fledged RV7, quite a moment.

My effiors are now on finishing the engine compartment and some final wiring. The emp has gone for painting so it looks like the end is getting nearer - 90% done, 90% to do!

wingson2.jpg

Last edited:
Empennage Complete!

We started our RV-7 journey in March of this year and we are proud to announce that our empennage is complete! The wing kit shall be ordered within the next couple of weeks!
1000635ae.jpg

I can give back the C-frame riveter I borrowed. Because I have officially dimpled & riveted the final skins in place, when my friend Neil dropped by today. So rear deck and front skin DONE. Also started thinking about the striping layout.
RV-7build757.jpg

RV-7build759.jpg

gratuitous bonus photo....Got my seats yesterday
RV-7build747.jpg

Congrats

Nice job Stephen. You have made lots a progress lately on the project. Let us know how the first flight goes.

Wowee!!

Wow, Stephen!!

Way to go!! I've been watching for this big day. Can't wait to hear about the first flight.

My Dad came up from California and we got it prepped and painted in 36 days. What a marathon! :D

Wings, flaps, and ailerons are all white and the root fairings are red.

PPG Omni Basecoat / Clearcoat

paintdone.jpg

Nice!!

My Dad came up from California and we got it prepped and painted in 36 days. What a marathon! :D

Wings, flaps, and ailerons are all white and the root fairings are red.

PPG Omni Basecoat / Clearcoat

paintdone.jpg

I know what you went through! But it does make you feel good doesn't it?

Mark

I'm hoping we don't take 36 days to paint mine. but today I degreased and scuffed. Tomorrow She leaves the shop for the 1/4mile journey to the paint shop. I have 2 weeks of vacation set aside and several helpers.
RV-7build806.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
New Member......RV-7A

Just received Plans for my build, purchasing tools and equipment and ready to order EMP. kit...........Let the journey begin!

Passed the 1000 Hour Mark

Well I passed the 1000 hour mark this weekend. Got the canopy Sika Flexed on thanks to my helpers Guy Prevost and Don Stone. Thanks fellas!

IMG_0615.jpg

Wings delivered

After what seemed like an eternity after I finished the empennage, it's time to get busy again! It's gonna be a great Fall!

P1040046.jpg

been a while since my last update.

finished the canopy frame and just got done sanding the final canopy fairing..

FLOX

P1020110.JPG

5 layers of S Glass

P1020116.JPG

after sanding the glass it was time for the filler....2 rounds of filler and sanding..

P1020121.JPG

Finally...

P1020133.JPG

Last edited:
also...

Managed to seal down an engine...

IO 360 AIA 200HP...

has less than 200 hrs when removed, no damage, not wrecked... been pickled and in storage for 2 years... it is being torn down just for inspection and to perform any ADs.. the inside is beautiful...no surprises. :)

Eng1.jpg

eng2.jpg

eng5.jpg

prop gov included..

engine.jpg

An Airplane in the Driveway - Wings Mated!

I have arrived at another milestone. I successfully mated the wings to the fuselage for the first time! I don't have room inside my shop to do this, so it had to be done outside. I chose a day when the weather was nice and I had some help on hand. It's an interesting adventure to take your plane outside for the first time and put big pieces of it together. Especially when you live in the city and it's in your driveway. My son Paul was home from San Diego for a visit, so I had the privilege of his help, along with some other family and friends. Here's the plane, sitting in my driveway:

P1000477%20(Medium).JPG

I used some Boelube to lubricate everything. Then we wiggled and pushed the wings and they slid right in. It was tight, but no problems. You can see the plumb bobs I hung over the wings to check the sweep. I staked a string and measured carefully. They're swept forward very slightly, but within 1/32" of being perfect! I also triangulated and measured carefully from the tail to the tip of each wing. The measurements are so close, it's negligible. Once again, the accuracy of these kits and the engineering that has been done just blows me away. Thanks, Vans!

Here's a shot from directly in front. My sawhorse makes funny looking gear legs.

P1000478%20(Small).JPG

Some additional checking revealed that the rear spar bulkhead stubs sticking out of the fuselage were rubbing on the flanges of the tanks. I believe some minor trimming will alleviate this, and also correct the 1/32" forward sweep error. According to the plans, if it's within 1/2" it's close enough, but I don't want that rubbing anyway, so why not correct it?

P1000480%20(Small).JPG

I had to just walk around, take some pictures, and enjoy the moment. Passersby were really looking. Some stopped to comment. All in all, it was a great experience.

P1000474%20(Small).JPG

Once I realized that the wings have to come off for that minor trimming before going any further, there was no point moving on to consider the angle of incidence. So we just enjoyed the moment before taking it all apart and packing it back into the garage. I really enjoyed this time with Paul and the rest of my family, friends, and helpers. This will be repeated again soon to finish the sweep and incidence adjustments, and drill those holes in the rear spar.

What time of day?

Whoa, Bruce.

You are up early!! Congrats on getting it together. That just looks so cool.

Very nice Bruce! You really got to wonder what goes through the neighbors' heads when they drive by. Most of my neighbors have no idea. :D

Looking Good!

It's a great feeling to put it together for the first time and see the fruits of your labor. You are getting ever closer to a flying airplane. :) BTW I love how the anodized side rails show up in this pic, they just look so... :cool:

Here's the plane, sitting in my driveway:

P1000477%20(Medium).JPG

Neighbors

Rolled my 7a outside last weekend to clean the barn. Neighbors were tripping over things and walking into sign post! Pretty funny to watch the gaulkers as they were watching me :D

Back