What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked the canopy DARN! How much for a new one?

morris

I'm New Here
Well, the title pretty much says it all. I was working on the canopy tonight and I cracked it. The crack is right in the middle, where the latch handle (slider) goes through. The crack is about 2.5-3" long and won't be covered up by the strip unfortunately.

I don't know what I did wrong, I don't know if the shop was to cold, or what but I am going to get a new one.

I cannot find the price on Vans site so I wondered if anyone out there purchased one lately and how much it was.

Thanks-

Dan

consider todds canopy

Dan,

Before you order from Vans, you might want to check with Todds canopies in Ft Lauderdale, FL. Many think that he makes a better canopy than the one available from Vans. I think it is also less expensive.

I sold my Vans canopy to buy one from Todd. It arrives tomorrow.

http://www.toddscanopies.com/

Tony

Thanks Tony-

It looks like they don't make them for RV-7's unfortunately. After I cooled off a bit I took another look at it and I may be able to save it. The hole is in the center up where the latch mechanism goes through. I think I may make the center strip fair (sp?) out a little bit where it intersects with the roll bar.

I am going to give it a try at least. I think it will look alright and would cover the crack and the stop drill holes.

thanks-

Dan

I have no (as in zero) experience with it, but I have heard that some people will use methylene chloride or Weld-on acrylic adhesive to seal a crack. It is thin and will enter the crack by way of capilliary action. Might be worth looking into. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys

thanks for the advice guys.

How well did the weld on three work? does it hide the crack at all or just stop it from spreading?

Thanks-

dan

I've seen an RV7 whose canopy was cut in half with a metal strip in the middle. I didn't ask the builder, but I suspect he cracked it. It looks good and if you didn't have other RV's to compare it to, you'd never know. Another good reason to get a slider :)

Weldon doesn't do much to hide the crack, but it does prevent it from spreading (combined with proper stop-drilling.) It may not be pretty, but it doesn't put a $1K dent int your wallet either.

Darn Cracks

Dan,

You probably did nothing wrong when this crack decided to test your patience. We were working on the canopy for another RV7-A builder with a brand new plexiglass bit, as recommended by Vans, and the canopy cracked on the last hole drilled. The last stinking hole.
Sometimes, if it weren't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all. Sorry that you experienced this event.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO

Use the metal strip that you mentioned to cover the crack after you stop drill it. Make sure the stop holes are drilled a little beyond the crack. On the inside of the canopy put a decal that says open here etc., no one will ever know.

Thanks

Thanks for all of the replies. After I took a couple minutes away, I decided to just keep plugging away.

I'll use some Weldon 3, I already stop drilled it, and I most likely the coverstrip will cover it up. I do like the decal idea though. :)

I clamped it to the frame and got in and closed the canopy. It is hardly noticeable and the cover strip will minimially decrease any visability (it will still be 100X better than the cessnas, champs, and cubs that I fly).

Heck, just getting in with the glass on the canopy made me want to keep working. that and the IO-390 sitting in the crate in the garage!

Thanks again!

Dan

Back