What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for direction on cutting...

Roy25101

Could I get some advice on how to go about cutting the excess metal off the R-710 Rudder Brace Horn. It won't go through a band saw, it's too thick to snip. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Could I get some advice on how to go about cutting the excess metal off the R-710 Rudder Brace Horn. It won't go through a band saw, it's too thick to snip. Any advice would be appreciated.

Typically on situations like this, I use a cut-off wheel in a Dremel or die grinder. Wear eye protection and be careful.

As Mel suggests, I used a Dremel with cut-off wheel but not right up to the line. Then, I finished it with the bench grinder.

Cheers,

As Mel suggests, I used a Dremel with cut-off wheel but not right up to the line. Then, I finished it with the bench grinder.
Cheers,

Another caution; try using a belt sander instead of bench grinder. Grinding wheels and aluminum don't play well together.

A bench grinder is fine if you use a (3M SCOTCH-BRITE DEBURRING WHEEL) or something similar.

Eddy

Dremel

Typically on situations like this, I use a cut-off wheel in a Dremel or die grinder. Wear eye protection and be careful.

+1 on the dremel. Cut it with plenty of extra.
I so have a big electric right angle grinder for cutting get thick stuff.
The Harbor Freight tools work fine.

Piling on to the dremel bandwagon. I use these wheels:

https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-EZ406...8&qid=1487951026&sr=1-2&keywords=dremel+metal

The ones that come in the dremel kit ("409 cutoff wheels") break easily but these seem quite durable - I've had good luck with them on fiberglass also. SAFETY GLASSES / GOGGLES ARE AN ABSOLUTE MUST when using these wheels.

Ditto, but the House of Balsa 2 inch wheels are easier to use since the body of the Dremel gets less in the way...:)

Web search for "House of Balsa Tuf-Grind 2"

A bench grinder is fine if you use a (3M SCOTCH-BRITE DEBURRING WHEEL) or something similar.

Eddy

Yes, thank you. I forgot to mention that I used the 3M scotch-brite wheel. I've started taking it for granted that that's what we all use. :eek:

Cheers,

Don't cut that yet!!! It is a trick . . .

OK... Dremel it is. I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new tool. Thanks y'all...

Roy, be sure you double check the edge distance on this before you cut to the print. I had to replace mine, many do.

I don't think I trimmed mine much because I needed the length for placing the rudder pedal as far aft as possible, I just cut out the lightening holes.

If I had trimmed it, it would have been on my band saw. I can cut .040 easily if I have a reasonably new metal cutting blade. The stock wood cutting blade is useless, but blades are pretty cheap and make a huge difference. It works well enough to cut the thick 3/4" bar stock that's to make the canopy wedge spacer.

The Dremel cut off wheel is a great tool though, I've used it lots. I've got through a lot of sandpaper pieces for the drum attachment, very handy in some of the awkwardly placed and sized openings.

Back