What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How did you rivet nose ribs on HS

mturnerb

Well Known Member
I'm struggling with section 8-11, trying to figure out how I will do the rivets that attach the nose ribs to front spar. It can wait - but wondering how others have approached this....

Here are a couple of photos of the area I'm talking about. I placed rivets but can't get any squeezer yokes on the area and cant see how to get the angle right with bucked rivets.

Nose ribs

Wow, I did those less than a month or two ago and I can't remember. I seem to recall that they weren't that hard to set, though. I do have an offset set, though, so I'm wondering if I used the offset set to drive these.

I have a 1" x 1" x 4" tungsten bucking bar with an almost 45 degree face on one end, which seems like a steeper angle than others I've seen. I got it off Ebay and it was less expensive than the ones from the aircraft supply houses. With the dbl offset rivet set in front (the nose side) the 45 degree end of the bucking bar angled away from the inspar rib enough to set the rivet. I think this set of rivets is where I figured out not to grip the bucking bar too tightly. It needs to move a bit so it can hammer the rivet. If you grip the bar too tight and dampen the movement, you'll be there all day on this set of rivets.

Also, a grommet around the end of the rivet can help keep the flanges flush against the spar. Especially the ones that only take one rivet. I cut off a slice of plastic tubing, like the static air tubing, to the depth I needed. You only have to hit it a few times and then you can remove the grommet.

are you having an issue with how to shoot the rivet(what rivet set) or how to buck the rivet?

Both - in the sense that I'm having trouble visualizing how the angles will work. The rivets are perpendicular to the axis of the spar, the skins are angled so that rivet set will be angled to the rivet. I have what I think is an "offset" rivet set but not sure what a "double offset" rivet set is, will look into that.

I posted my problem with these rivets some time ago ("for future reference"). After considerable fretting, I used a #3 gun, 60 psi, double offset rivet set, and a small (1x1x2 inch) tungsten bucking bar. Worked great.

I posted my problem with these rivets some time ago ("for future reference"). After considerable fretting, I used a #3 gun, 60 psi, double offset rivet set, and a small (1x1x2 inch) tungsten bucking bar. Worked great.

Thanks - did a search but didn't find your post. I figured out that the offset rivet set I have is the same as double offset...

The offset rivet set is a creation of the dark lord himself. I was advised to remove the spring retainer and use electrical tape to secure it in the position I needed, which seemed to help quite a bit.

I remember those rivets. Not a place to get in a hurry. I used the offset rivet set and angled tungsten bucking bar like others mentioned. Shimming and taping to get the correct angle of the bucking bar is a technique I've learned recently and probably would be good to use in this situation.
The horizontal stab section of my blog has a couple of pictures.

I remember those rivets. Not a place to get in a hurry. I used the offset rivet set and angled tungsten bucking bar like others mentioned. Shimming and taping to get the correct angle of the bucking bar is a technique I've learned recently and probably would be good to use in this situation.
The horizontal stab section of my blog has a couple of pictures.

Thanks Shawn - I just looked at your blog and the photos are very helpful.

Back