What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Demo

Yea?

Manny,

I know you're an engineer but couldn't you dig just a little deeper and expound on your flight experience just a tad? Give it up man! It's the RV-14.....give us some details! :D

Whoops....

Scraping the egg off my face! :eek:

Sorry Manny.....have fun and looking forward to your report.

LOL guys! I think you are all more excited than me! I am really looking forward to this. I saw the plane at SnF on Tuesday and liked it quite a bit. But it is BIG and Tall. I had a hard time getting my leg to reach the the foot step and then reaching with my other leg to the wing-walk. I'm 5'-11" but this is a bit much. I mentioned this to Vans and they told me that perhaps that will change by the time the fuse is out. And Charger, don't throw away the eggs you scrape. You might have to throw them back at me tomorrow! Ha! Cheers.

My demo Ride today- Impressions

Today I got to demo the RV14. Here are my impressions.

I flew from Sanford International (Central Florida Area) in my Piper Cherokee 140 (120mph today! Woo hoo) to Plant City, about 7 miles west of Lakeland (SnF). I was greeted by Vans East Coast Representative, Mitch Lock with the beautiful RV14 sitting on the tarmac. Super nice guy and answered all my questions. I had previously reported that the foot rest sat way too tall for me to reach easily but I suppose it must have been the way it was sitting on uneven grass at SnF. Today it was on a level concrete surface and it was very easy to reach and get in. I was very pleased. Next, we tried to crank the engine- several times- For some unknown reason, it was hard to start and it was warm from a previous flight. It happened with others that took demo rides as well. I have no idea what caused that. It had the IO-390. When it finally started, we smoothly taxied to runway 10 at Plant City and asked for clearance to depart. We got clearance and for a minute, I thought I was on a Navy carrier. I have not had a lot of experience flying fast airplanes with CS props but I was impressed with the acceleration to say the least. We rocketed to 2500 ft. and stayed there to avoid the Class B airspace at Tampa International at 3000 ft. The RV had an impressive climb at 1500 fpm and it was not pushed either. Compare this to 250 fpm on my Cherokee. Ouch. Most of the flight was performed at 150 kn. which I was told, is about 60% of power. I have limited experience with RV7s but I feel the 14 is a bit heavier than the 7. Its “bigness” manifests while moving the controls as compared to the very light RV7. However, it is exquisitely smooth and very responsive. It is another “point-and-shoot” type of stick flying. Another thing that I noticed was no adverse yaw. Neither of us used rudder and the plane flew coordinated the entire way. By the way, Mitch let me fly the airplane the entire route, except for take-off and landing. Landing was smooth and uneventful and sadly, the demo came to and end .

I don’t’ know yet if am going to decide between a -7 or a -14. There is a lot of thinking for me. But I can say that this is a big airplane with a lot of room for two people and luggage, it is fast (and slow too) and has got to be a first class touring machine. I’ll try to post some pictures in flight.

Last edited:
Your experience is similar to mine when I flew the 14 last summer at Oshkosh. I fly a Sonex now so it is much lighter than the 14 but the 14 control feel was very similar. Like you say, point and shoot.

I saw your prior post about the foot rest and was surprised. My wife is only 5'2" and she had no problem getting in compared to any other airplane. I'm about your height and it was very comfortable.

The interior space is what will make this a very comfortable cruiser. The seating also appears to be higher in the 14 compared to the 7 and the view over the nose is better than I have experienced in any other aircraft.

It was a pleasure to fly and they got my order right after the flight. I am just completing the elevator, just a few hours to go and will be starting on the wings next week.

Back