What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Appearance

Phyrcooler

Well Known Member
OK... that is appearance... as in how it looks.

I have voiced before that even an RV-7 is not dressed for success when it is dull aluminum, bare fiberglass, and not wearing any pants! So, I thought to myself... what would the RV-12 look like with a little lipstick (and pants!).

Personally - I don't think she's half bad. A tinted canopy, a bit of paint... hmmm... little sister is looking good!

So - I submit for your kind review - the RV-12 with pants and a little paint:

rv12ch9.jpg

:D DJ

Sorry it isn't done any better... but all I had on my computer to use is MS 'Paint'!

Last edited:
Cool

Personally I think the looks of the RV-12 is the best RV since the RV-4 (but not better :D ). Seriously, it looks really really good. It has classic, yet original style (similar to the RV-4/-3) that will be a hit all over the world. That is my bet. The other condenders in the amateur built Sport/UL category is the CH-601 and Sonex. The European half finished carbon based planes that has better performance will be more expensive.

It will be too heavy for the current European UL category, but those rules will change, probably very soon. When that happends, the RV-12 will be an instant hit, I'm sure.

AntiGravity said:
Is that in proportion? That's a big tail!!
I didn't change the proportions of it that I know of. I just borrowed it from the Van's website, imported it into MS Paint, and then added color and the wheel pants (which I borrowed from a competitor's drawing ;) ).

I think that much of the disappointment expressed has been based on expectation. In other words, lots of folks expected it to have the classic Van's look.

Considering what they have done to reduce build time, and comparing to other sport designs, I think it looks great.

Back