What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Corpus Christi in Late Dec... Good Idea?

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
My company provides us with a bunch of time off around Christmas and that usually means we jump in the airplane and explore. Last trip was Mojave to Key West, but the Rocket will be undergoing the SDS EFI installation, so we are looking at the "backup" bird, the RV-8. The -8 doesnt quite have the legs of the Rocket, so we're looking for a little more modest destination than the SE coast. We want warm and beach, so we are considering the 7.5 hour hop to Corpus Christi... Never been there, but it looks promising from a geographic standpoint. Any advice from the collective? Good,bad, fair?

You'll be in the 50's-60's average temperature, with Northers moving through once a week. Sometimes warmer, sometimes cooler.

Last edited:
The city of Corpus Christi would be like visiting East Palmdale or East Lancaster, but by the ocean. With that, Padre or South Padre Island is the only area to spend time there. There is an airport on Mustang Island, but not sure if rental cars are available. The Corpus International Airport FBO is hit and miss with their friendliness toward small GA aircraft.

Corpus

I wouldn't go to Corpus, Part Aransas is a better choice and go to Amelias Landing for rooms. They own a RV and they like airplane folks.o If you want 70's go south to Harlingen or Brownsville.

Ok, not exactly a glowing report for Corpus... I do appreciate the info, however.

Brownsville was on the initial agenda, but some "in the know" have indicated it is a DMZ, and I better be packin' if I go.

Michael - South padre Island or Port Aransas is where you want to go. Both have great beaches and the weather is usually very nice that time of year. Port Aransas is kind of a laid back place, not very big and there are good accommodations. Amelia's Landing is a great place to stay although not on the beach. The airport is right on the edge of town and there is a trolley that makes the rounds every hour. Port A is more like a fishing village with a beach.

South Padre Island is much larger and is more your typical vacation destination environment. Lots to do there, walk from your hotel room directly on the beach, lots of nightlife, great food and fits every budget. There is always some event going on there. Yesterday it was Sand Castle competition with contestants from all over world competing. The airport is about 10 miles from the island so it will be a taxi ride as there is no shuttle. If you will be staying several days rent a car to make it easier to get around and explore. Great fishing both offshore and bay if you are into that as well. Whoever told you that it was dangerous was totally full of ****. Yes going into Matamorous Mexico is probably not a good idea but any where on the US side of the border is as safe or safer than your community.

I was at SPI yesterday for the event and just to get some beach atmosphere. It was great. I like to fly to port A for lunch sometimes as well. Come on down have some fun in the sun. You really can't go wrong with either place. Heck if you have time stay a couple of days at each place. They're only about 1/2 hour apart by RV.

Corpus

I agree with jrskygod, that is what I did last winter and I only live 2 hrs. North. I spent two weeks at Port A and three weeks on South Padre. There is good fishing, a cheap gun range north of Harlengen.

Corpus

I forgot, stop in Fredericksburg, Tx and spend the night at the Hangar Hotel. Thursday night is the best because all the local pilots are pontificating from 1900 hundred until 2200.0

Good stuff guys, thanks. Looking at my initial flight plan I see that I have KRAS as my destination thinking that was Corpus instead of the more specific Port Aransas. Based on your endorsements, I'll take another look at South Padre as well.

Believe me....

You'll be so much happier with South Padre vs. Corpus Christi. Florida-type white sandy beaches vs Grey, some time tar ball beaches in Corpus/Port Aransas.

Avg temps in December are hi of 71 and low of 55 for South Padre. You're about 160 miles further south from Corpus which in December, can't hurt where temps are concerned.

Looks like you would fly into Port Isabel-Cameron County airport there in Port Isabel.

Padre

Born and raised in the Padre area. I spent 20 years all over from Padre to Corpus. I recommed Padre for a get away. Lots of touristy stuff to do.
US side is as you would expect. Safe. Mexico side is fine if you mind your own business and stay in commercial areas. Unfortunately tourism took a hit. If you want to cross, go at Progresso. It's the most common crossing for American tourists. You can walk across and shop without driving or riding busses or taxis. Take your passport.

If you're use to Florida beaches, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed with Texas beaches. There's lots of things to see and do in south Texas, and I'm sure you'd have a great time, but if you have a couple of weeks that you're wanting to spend on the beach, I'd fly about another four hours or so and go to Gulf Shores Alabama, Pensacola or Destin Florida.

An Alternative...

Have you thought about the southern tip of the Baja Peninsula?

It's a shorter traveling distance from your location. There are several airports along the Sea of Cortez coast for fuel/food/stretch stops that make staging the flight easy. And the scenery all along the coastline is nothing short of spectacular!

With all of the options between Cabo San Lucus and San Jose Del Cabo there's lots of fun stuff to do, with a variety of activities and accommodations that can fit into just about any budget. You can get away from it all, or get right into the thick of it...whatever suits your mood. And it's very safe (based on the stats) for Americans.

The weather is nice there in late December (mild to warm) so you can hang out in shorts and flip flops most of the time.

Back