What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hidden Oil Door and Magnetic Latch

Interesting

Very interesting latch you have there. I am a little suspect that the latch as shown might not be robust enough for the air pressure that will be applied to the oil door in flight however. I had issues with my oil door deflecting up in the corners during flight that lead me to install quarter turn fasteners in each corner so solve the problem. Will be interesting to the how it does in flight, good luck, looks like a cool idea.

Very clever! I have a hidden hinge with the release accessed through the right cowl opening. One of the flaws in my design is that it is impossible to jump start through the oil door because you can't latch the door with a spinning prop.

Karl,
Very cool idea.

I was hoping to make your 3D printer demo this weekend, but I have family from out of town here this weekend.

See you soon.

Last edited:
Very nice

That is a very well thought out and executed oil door! Based on this, you are going to have one nice airplane. A word of caution, your clearances between the door and the cowling are very close. My cowling also has some very tight tolerances and the paint is now chipping from the edges hitting during open and closing.

Rather than make a latch I just made my oil door hinge inwards with a spring to hold it shut. There is no external hinge or release. I simply hold the door open while checking the oil, when in flight the air pressure holds it closed instead of blowing it open. Just a different way for someone that doesn't want any exposed hardware

Back