What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Self-cut/made Spark Plug Wires?

HighSchoolBuilders

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Has anyone tried to self cut and crimp your own spark plug wires? The set that came with my engine doesn't fit the length I need and I am looking into either buy the tools and wire and make my own, or order a new set from Klaus.

Would like to see if there is any drawback or traps to make my own.

Thanks!
Hank

Yes

Yes, it's pretty easy and been doing it for years. Get a set of MSD superconductor 8.5mm wires (P/N 31229) from Summit or any auto store. It comes with a small tool and enough wire, end connectors, and boots for multiple sets.

Vic

I have had the Taylor pro race wire 11mm on my 442 for 15 years, no problems at all with the correct plug wire W crimper!

I just made the plug wires for the dual LSE system on my -10.

The plug wires Klaus sends were mostly too short for where I chose to install my coils.

The best way to go is to order:
Bulk 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor wire (MSD-34019) (That's the 25' roll. I needed more for the -10)
MSD Dual Crimp boot and terminal kit (MSD-8852)
MSD Wire Crimp Tool (MSD-35051)

The dual crimp ends crimp on to both the conductor and the sheath, instead of the single crimp ends where you just fold the conductor over and crimp the sheath and conductor in one go.

Also, the tool is a bit expensive (about $75) but it makes the whole process very simple and the crimps it makes are a very high quality. It even has a guide on it to cut the sheath to the correct length.

Back