What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

remote radio in false floor under seat?

bill v

Well Known Member
anyone have any experience with putting a radio in this area in an rv-7? or do you think the radio would get too hot in this confined space? looking at were to put a remote trig radio

Lots of stuff can go under there but consider that it is a crush zone. When you position things, think about whether it will impact you/pax posterior when it does crush. BTDT

also consider the need to have some air circulation over the unit when deciding where to place it.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa, Canada

remote radio

I put a Trig TT-22 remote transponder under the co-pilot's seat in my RV6A a couple years ago. No problems so far. As has been noted, lots of airflow in that area. Not sure, but the RV7 may have a smaller space in that area.

Potential drowning if you get stuck in one of those OSH storms.
Potential oil contamination if you are a hard core aerobatics guy.
Potential heat issues if not vented.
Probable dirt/dust contamination.
Not great serviceable access.
What is the minimum coax cable allowable length?
So many places you could mount it in front cowl area, why stuff it under the seat?

Potential drowning if you get stuck in one of those OSH storms.
Potential oil contamination if you are a hard core aerobatics guy.
Potential heat issues if not vented.
Probable dirt/dust contamination.
Not great serviceable access.
What is the minimum coax cable allowable length?
So many places you could mount it in front cowl area, why stuff it under the seat?

1. If you are worried about drowning at OSH there should be drain holes down there
2. I hope your engine oil doesn't get to that space
3. Enough open space around and flow from the wings. Current is only 0.2 amps in rx. mode
4. The sucker is pretty well sealed
5. How often would it be removed - some of the behind the panel areas aren't very accessible either.
6. Zero inches minimum
7. Again some are hard to get too...:)

However I think the bigger hold up would be the fact that it needs a cable back to the panel.

I would choose to mount the Dynon transponder there (#6 has the same answer :)) since that only has 4 or 5 wires going to it and the Dynon ADSB box which also has only 4 wires going to it.

I my case I mounted my ADSB box under the baggage floor with an access panel. Again a unit that does need to be removed often.

I put my MGL v16 in the forward right one in my 4 and have no problems with it.

Bob burns
Rv-4 n82rb

1. about 10 years ago there was a particular heavy driving rain storm in OSH. all the RVs (sliders) tied down facing East got drenched, some with 1" of water in their baggage areas. Had to drain thru somehow before getting to the (actually required) drain holes.
2. a local aerobatic instructor manages to get oil all thru the aircraft when he performs the review to modify our homebuilts CofA's list of permitted maneuvers. As he is exploring the aircraft's limitations, he gets the engine to burp more than a few times & holds negative for a bit too. He can even get oil come in thru the heater & mess up the front floor tunnel area. He laughs, we clean...
3. most of us Canadians seal off as many openings as we can, don't want to freeze anything off...
4. many of the planes I see that play on grass & gravel have to be vacuumed under the accessible floor boards when they come in for annuals.
5. I see a lot of planes, so I always look for accessability & servicability
6. I questioned (com) min coax length as I remember reading here & some magazines (Jim Wier in particular) that mentioned the need for a min coax length for ADSB converters (GDL82?), longer for RG400/shorter for RG58 & requiring a certain amount of resistance/single loss? Therefore the question.
7. front cowl area referring to on or forward of the sub panel.

remote radio

1. Canopy covers work well to keep rain out.
2. Very little aerobatics so far. No oil inside my airplane.
3. Not a heat sensitive area in my experience.
4. I just completed an annual and under seat inspection showed very little dirt under seat area. Stuck a vacuum hose in there anyway. (2 minutes max)
5. In 2 years since installation, I've had the Transponder out for maintenance exactly - never.
6. Installation manual for reference.
7. Can't think of a reason not to.

Again, 2 years and absolutely no problems. Would do again and recommend.

Back