What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition Inspection #9

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Valkyrie is now in to her tenth year of flying, so this was something like the 9th time (depending on how you count the licensing inspection I suppose?) we?ve opened her all up since new. Doing pretty well, with just shy of 1800 hours on the clock. Annual hours the first couple of years were in the 300 range ? then I adopted Louise?s RV-6, and we built the -3?.so have to share flying time between them all ? plus all the OPP?s (?Other People?s Planes?) I fly, so Val gets more like 150 per year these days.

No big issues this time:

1) Rudder cable attach point wear ? the known issue of where the cables attach to the rudder arms with AN3 bolts. The bolts start enlarging the holes. Interestingly enough, the RV-3 plans show bushings installed from day 1 ? many have done that on the newer RV?s, and now the Val has them as well. Ordered 3/16? ID x ?? OD bushings from McMaster and cut them down to a little longer than the arm was thick. Drilled and reamed the holes to 1/4:?, used a C-clamp to press them in, then a sanding disk on an angle die-grinder to bring them down flush. Should be good for a while.
2) Air filter vs. FAB ? yup, the K&N started wearing an escape hole in the bottom of the FAB. I am only surprised it hadn?t done so earlier ? the -3 started the first year! Easy fiberglass repair, and a brand new K&N ? the old one had done the shrinking act, but I?ll accept a new filter once a decade as acceptable wear.
3) Adel clamp that tied the starter cable to an intake tube was sliding around ? did a little tidying up with new clamps.
4) Replaced brake piston O-rings due to a leak. Brake linings last me about three years, and these were done last year, so we?re still fat in the stopping department.

Everything else was routine inspection, lubrication, and torque-checking. Good to go for another year!

Paul

Thanks for the update Paul! Do you happen to have any pics of the rudder attach point mod? I think I better do something like that now to get ahead of the (potential) problem.

Valkyrie is now in to her tenth year of flying, so this was something like the 9th time (depending on how you count the licensing inspection I suppose…) we’ve opened her all up since new. Doing pretty well, with just shy of 1800 hours on the clock.

Paul,
Over the years what would you say has been your biggest maintenance issue, either by dollars or pain in the ass? Is there anything that can be done in advance to prevent that maintenance issue?

i always thought that if one brake caliper oring was toast the other couldn't be far behind. i do them in pairs. ;)
P1000222.jpg

IMG_0395copy.jpg

Thanks for the update Paul! Do you happen to have any pics of the rudder attach point mod? I think I better do something like that now to get ahead of the (potential) problem.

I have a couple of pictures on the shop camera, but frankly, it is dirt simple. Just get the appropriate sized bushing material, cut it about 1/4" long, drill and ream the new hole and squeeze it in with C-clamps - then trim with the sanding disk. There are previous threads here somewhere (I think Scott Card may have posted one) that have pictures.

Paul,
Over the years what would you say has been your biggest maintenance issue, either by dollars or pain in the ass? Is there anything that can be done in advance to prevent that maintenance issue?

I went through some working rivet issues on the exit ramp skin early on - fixed that problem with turn-down pipe tips. Oil consumption was acceptable but higher than I liked right from the start (6-7 hours/quart), and I blame that on the Cerminil cylinders with defective rings - that was fixed with new standard Nitrided jugs when the rings delaminated completely about 1400 hours and I burned a quart of oil in one trip between Dallas and Houston. And before I know it, I will probably do some major rewiring behind the panel because I have modified it so many times doing component testing that it has gotten to be a mess....

Overall? Nothing major with the airframe!

i always thought that if one brake caliper oring was toast the other couldn't be far behind. i do them in pairs. ;)

I generally do that as well Turbo - but the other one was replaced in a field repair just about 3 months ago - it was hard enough to do one under those conidtions, so I figured I'd catch the other at the annual, like I just did.

4) Replaced brake piston O-rings due to a leak.

Hey Paul, I just bought a couple Viton O-Rings to install on our Matco brake pistons so we can use Mobil 1 ATF as others have done. Question... how do you remove the piston from the brake assembly to get access to the o-ring? This is a new build and I have not put any fluid in the system yet.

What is the Best tool ever invented

After completing another condition inspection I have to say the greatest tool ever invented in my 25 years of homebuilding is the battery powered screwdriver. Remember the floorboards and baggage compartment in the old days.

Hey Paul, I just bought a couple Viton O-Rings to install on our Matco brake pistons so we can use Mobil 1 ATF as others have done. Question... how do you remove the piston from the brake assembly to get access to the o-ring? This is a new build and I have not put any fluid in the system yet.

A gentle pop with an air nozzle into the inlet fitting will do it. Hold your hand to catch the piston and "gentle" is the watchword. Round objects sent flying tend to roll into innacessible places.... :)

Back