What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 fwd elevator control tube rub.

FLYONE

I'm New Here
Has anyone ever had an issue with the fwd elevator push pull tube rubbing/chaffing against the bottom of the aileron carry through tube on an RV-8? This would be where the fwd stick connects. Thanks, Mark

When I assembled this I was very uncomfortable with the clearances in this area, and the potential for "hang up" of the elevator. I did quite a bit of judicious grinding to reach a comfort level. If the nut came loose even a bit it would not be good.

You do not say if your aircraft is flying or not but if I heard or felt ANY noise or scraping in this area I would not fly again until I checked it out!!

re

Yes it was flying and I did not notice it until the inspection...
The bottom of the push pull tube has rubbed so bad it has chaffed the rivets of the control tube end and the carry through tube. It seems like the distance from the pivot point to the elevator push pull tube connection on the Fwd control stick is 1/4 of an inch to long or so...
thank you for your response. Mark

Yes it was flying and I did not notice it until the inspection...
The bottom of the push pull tube has rubbed so bad it has chaffed the rivets of the control tube end and the carry through tube. It seems like the distance from the pivot point to the elevator push pull tube connection on the Fwd control stick is 1/4 of an inch to long or so...
thank you for your response. Mark

Can you post some pictures?

control tube rub

I think this is a common problem. Mine was pretty bad, and no amount of grinding or squeezing would make it free of interference. Finally I cut out the bottom section of the tube where it was rubbing, then formed and welded a curved plate over the cutaway area, which increased clearance by about 1/4".

12.30.14.jpg

Not the prettiest weld, but its strong and it worked. Before painting I cleaned up the inside of the tube with a broomstick/sanding drum:
01.07.15.jpg

Back