What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy frame bending

QUAESAET

I'm New Here
Dear all,

I am working on my RV8's canopy frame.
When it came out from the box, I first mounted it as per the plan, with 3 aluminium strips on each side.
The fit was pretty good at the front bow, just a little wide, but the gap increased toward the aft (around 1/4 of an inch between the last strips and the fuse skins).

As per the plane, I first focused on the front gap, I managed to reduce it with a cargo strap.

Then, I thought I could use the same technique on the back of the frame; but I had to apply a very strong effort on the strap and, when the frame became to move, it tightened at the back AND at the front. Therefore, I can not reduce the aft gap without stretching the front bow, which is no more acceptable.

I also noticed that on the back of the frame, far from the front bow, the frame was much more flexible.

So, is a gap at the aft of the frame acceptable?
As the back is much more flexible, will it be contained in the canopy?

If not, do you know a method to work on the aft without deforming the front?

Thank you for your help,

Emmanuel

Emmanuel,

The closer you can get the frame fit, the easier it will be when you mount the canopy and the skirt.

If you wish to pull the aft portion in without affecting the front, try blocking the front bow in place with one or more pieces of wood cut to fit as precisely as possible. Then use your ratchet straps on the rear portion. Check the fit after each iteration. You will most likely need to pull the rear portion inward more than the final dimension to allow for "spring back".

Bon Chance,

Don

Thank you very much for your help, Don.

That was the point, blocking the front bow with a piece of wood.
After around 30 itérations, I am getting closer.

Thanks again for your help. Really usefull, especially in this part of the kit (between fuse kit & finishing) when things become a little more complicated...

Thank you for welcoming.

I am a rather slow builder, begun the project in 2008.
I am about half way in the building process, now wiring the aircraft, waiting for warmer temperatures to dive into the dreaded canopy cutting and gluing.

I have been wandering on this site from times to times, but it is my first post.

I live in the western part of France.

Back