What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Center Extended Console in an RV-8?

drozovs

I was curious if anyone has done a extended center console in the 8 to accommodate some additional avionics? I am between these to panels but real-estate as you can see is the issue:

Garmin_RV8.jpg

Garmin_RV87inch2.jpg

Thanks in advance! :)

For a device that is meant to be hand held, the ipad is eating a lot of panel space.

RAM mount and flex stalk might be a good thing to consider.

I had mounted a Garmin Area GPS to hang below the panel 1/2" and had to move it up due to a stick clearance conflict.

I put my mini ipad on a Ram mount which is held by a yoke clamp to the right roll bar mounting plate.

The iPad hides some switches on the panel behind but since it is on the Ram mount it is movable if you really need to see behind. You can also rotate the iPad if it works better...

The Ram mount frees up some panel space and gives you flexibility...

Another issue that I had not considered is that the iPad will not work if it is either too hot or too cold. I went to a neighboring club meeting one evening and it had dropped just below freezing by the time the meeting was over. When I tried to boot up the iPad it told me it was "too hot" (go figure?) and would not start. Since it was a night flight I would have liked to had it operational. I've concluded that the iPad needs to be mounted in a way that you can take it with you or otherwise store it at a moderate temperature...

Sorry no pics as we are away from home...

Is that a VP-200 I see? The ydon't make those anymore.

Go with iPad mini, ditch the gtn-750. Unless you REALLY need a gps approach capability the g3x will have plenty of navigation capability. A pair of radios will leave you a lot of money for more horsepower (or avgas).

Me too.

Yep we found the same thing with anything even close to the bottom center of the panel. We also needed the radios on the left side of the main panel plate and the IFIS in the medal. The 10" screen worked best for us as there was no room for a second screen. The area to the right of the main panel was left open for small back-ups or whatever. We have not gotten one just yet, but an I-pad as others have said we found would work-out best on a remote bracket off to the right of the whole panel, so it can be moved or left off as needed. We have looked at moving the top of the panel up higher. Maybe two inches in order to make more room, but you got it. This would need to be done as you are making the first fit of the panel or you will be spending a lot of time after the fact to retro fit. I think it can be done. Like a flat section 10" across the top raised up 1-2 inches higher then beveled off on each sides down to the outside edges of the staring point of the old curved section. A lot of work just to have back-up IFR, but panel space in an 8 is as you know is limited at best. Yours as always R.E.A. III #80888

Last edited:
I was curious if anyone has done a extended center console in the 8 to accommodate some additional avionics? I am between these to panels but real-estate as you can see is the issue:
]

Thanks in advance! :)

There should be plenty of room for a fully equipped panel in the -8, IF you leave the portable devices off and don't try to cram the largest size of everything in.

Here is a link to the panel in my -8: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=796825&postcount=488

I have nearly 400 hours with this setup including lots of cross country and about 70 hours of IFR training under "the hood." I'm extremely happy with everything I have.

Here are some personal observations and opinions of your proposed layout:

1. With a good EFIS system, using the GTN-750 over the -650 is really pointless and a waste of valuable panel real estate.

2. Leave the iPad off the panel.

3. Since the -8 has a left hand throttle, moving the ignition key or switch to the right side will allow you to manipulate throttle and mixture with your left hand while cranking with your right hand. It's also a bad idea to have your hand away from the throttle when starting!

4. Toggle switches take up less room than a VPX console (or display). The vertical power stuff is really nice, but I consider these systems severe over-kill for our simple little planes.

5. The mounting structure for the panel means that you need to allow about 3/4" between your equipment and the panel edge.

Skylor
RV-8

Last edited:
Console RV-8

I am a newbie with only five flights on my RV-8. I have a Toston grip and shortened the front stick so that this cleared under the panel by just an inch or so. The stick works OK but is too short for comfortable flying, at least for me, even though I am not large. I plan to do a bent stick. The pertinence for you is that a bent stick might allow you to have the center console extension and still not have clearance be a problem. What do you think?

Beyond the stick?

I've noticed that some Rockets have a CB paned ahead of the stick in a sort of center console that's well ahead of the stick and beneath the panel. Sometimes they also have a small area short of the stick that houses small gauges or switches.

Anyone try this?

Back