What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stab with HS-00003 Doublers

wchumley

I am getting ready to assemble my -8 horizontal stab with the new HS-00003 front spar doublers. Does anyone have any tips or warnings about getting the inboard ribs lined up and drilled. There seem to be lots of opportunities for things to go wrong with this process.

I just did this a few days ago and just followed the plans - no problem at all.
There is one important measurement on DWG 3, view B-B, distance of the doublers from the centerline (or where the HS-702 Fwd Spars meet) of 1 7/8". So the two doublers should give you a gap of 3 3/4", later the F-884 Attach Plate from the Vertical Stab will be nested inbetween (see DWG 78). This measurement should be close due to edge distance.
Also do not drill the holes which will attach the front spar to the fuse with screws later. These holes are only in the Splice and Reinf. Angles already (see View A-A.
I see your kit # is 83474 - mine is 83472.

Thanks SuperCubDriver. I should get most of this done today. It is nice to have someone a little ahead in the build process. Did you build your -7?

So far I am having a blast! I completed the vertical stab first based on some advice I got here on the forum before my empennage kit arrived. It is pretty simple compared to the horizontal stab. I am really considering buying a 90 degree drill for the inboard rib flange to fwd spar holes instead of trying to use the 12 inch drill bit. Looking ahead I keep seeing places where a 90 deg drill would make life easier and I have some experience using them. The flexy drill bit doesn't seem nearly as controllable:eek: Anyway, it is a great excuse to acquire another expensive tool!!

Happy new year

Back